NVIDIA's Release Happiness Continues Into April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susikala View Post
    This is presented a bit one-sidedly. Quantity is not everything that's important, I think. I mean, theoretically you could take AMD's open source drivers and bump the release number on every little bugfix, since that seems to be what NVIDIA are trying to do with their driver.

They're trying to keep the cake and eat it -- keep their drivers closed, but create the illusion they keep you on the bleeding edge. That doesn't chance the fact you're pretty much forced to use a binary blob.

Even if NVIDIA releases a driver every single damn day, AMD's strategy is unarguably better.
    Well now I think you might be right. I guess they are working on the driver, while nvidia is spending their time releasing stuff. Hmm

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Even if NVIDIA releases a driver every single damn day, AMD's strategy is unarguably better.
      Except for the part about AMD's drivers not being any damn good next to their competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
        Except for the part about AMD's drivers not being any damn good next to their competition.
        Oh yeah, well but that is a minor detail of course

Comment

Whatever the quality of Nvidia drivers could be, I still bet on ATI as they released their GPU specs, allowing an open-source driver.

Within months, I really think open-source driver can be in a very good state, allowing nice video playback, opengl support and flawless 2D acceleration.

Well, perhaps a year, but I don't care waiting the open source / fglrx to mature and seeing my HD4870 aging, as there is still not so many games to play with those beautifull drivers that are or are promised to be...

What the use of fine tuned drivers for 1+ Gflop GPU for playing teeworld or even ETQW ??

Comment

Then what is your purpose of buying an expensive GPU?

You are spending a fortune to buy a hope? While others spends less and do everything they want to do with their computer?

I just enjoyed several movies and played a good game of Nexius 2.5. That's what I paied for. That's the purpose of my computer.

I used to be like you. Bought X1600PRO, X1600XT, X1950PRO, X1900XT, HD 2900XT, HD 4650, HD 4850 etc... just to hope that one day ATI's driver can be better. Well now this 'day' seems to be still very far away. By realizing that I chose NV as my current main desktop. This is the first time that I did not regret that I chose the right card afterall. A bit sad on the inside but true. So I am going to still hope that one day OSS can pull all these stuff together, while enjoying me NVidia experience.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
              One AMD release could have as many new features or fixes as five Nvidia releases.
              LOL< that could have made it to xkcd.com, that is hilarious, and demonstrates the poster doesn't own both cards. I own nvidia and ATI, and let me tell you, Nvidia is years ahead on improvements than ATI on their drivers. ATI just limit to release bad quality drivers, with support for 2 outdated distributions, and one that is not that up to date. Man, ATI is a joke, Nvidia on the other hand loves Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kensai View Post
                LOL< that could have made it to xkcd.com, that is hilarious, and demonstrates the poster doesn't own both cards. I own nvidia and ATI, and let me tell you, Nvidia is years ahead on improvements than ATI on their drivers. ATI just limit to release bad quality drivers, with support for 2 outdated distributions, and one that is not that up to date. Man, ATI is a joke, Nvidia on the other hand loves Linux.
                Troll.

I said I don't own Nvidia cards. The point was more in line with susikala's point, that Nvidia is bumping a release number for every little bugfix. My point was that all these little releases could hold as much new content or fixes as one ATI driver release. I did NOT once say ATI was better than Nvidia. Boy did you misinterpret me.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
                  Troll.

I said I don't own Nvidia cards. The point was more in line with susikala's point, that Nvidia is bumping a release number for every little bugfix. My point was that all these little releases could hold as much new content or fixes as one ATI driver release. I did NOT once say ATI was better than Nvidia. Boy did you misinterpret me.
                  Still, is a Troll to say Nvidia updates for every little bug fix, go and check the changelogs and then talk.

Comment

Ok whatever the case, someone flush fglrx down the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                      Ok whatever the case, someone flush fglrx down the toilet.
                      I just beat it over the head with the open source ATI driver (which supports my "outdated" video card, unlike fglrx)

Comment

Working...
                      X