• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Yeah sure.

Windows XP:

36 61 139

Ubuntu 8.10:

36 66 181

Ultimate preset. Only settings on CCC being forced on both OS' are mipmaps (High) and Catalyst AI (Advanced). Latest end-user drivers.
    Alien Arena performs identical on both OS' with the same settings. The same goes for Urban Terror and Warsow. Furmark (running under Wine in Ubuntu) gives out the same scores.

Fglrx has good 3D performance. No surprise really. Where it sucks is in common desktop situations, specially when you try to accelerate them. Again, no surprise given where the driver comes from. These issues are being worked on. Sure, even I would like all these things fixed as quickly as possible, but given that the codebase is rather "new", the delays are understandable.

Drop you CPU clock by 20% and compare to your current results. Then clock your CPU back up, hen drop your vid card clocks by 20% and re-test and compare. I'm pretty sure you will find that your CPU is what is holding you back on Urban, Nexiuz and Warsow when your only running @ your 1680 res.

Comment

And? I'm talking about GPU performance here.

Comment

And? I'm talking about GPU performance here.
        So am I, fact that they are getting identical performance is more then likely that you are cpu limited with those titles and not hitting a GPU bottleneck. Those games really don't push the video card much.

Comment

Unigine Tropics
          OpenGL
          1680x1050
          4x AA
          16x AF
          Shaders High
          Textures High
          Filter Trilinear
          Reflection
          Refraction
          Occlusion
          Volumetric

Ubuntu 8.10
          fps: 25.7
          score: 648

Windows XP
          fps: 26.6
          score: 670

Unigine Sanctuary
          OpenGL
          1680x1050
          4x AA
          16x AF
          Shaders High
          Textures High
          Filter Trilinear
          Translucence
          Parallax Mapping
          Occlusion
          Reflection
          Refraction
          Scattering
          Volumetric
          HDR
          DOF

Ubuntu 8.10
          fps: 28.1
          score: 1190

Windows XP
          score: 1191

Comment

Just my two cents, with my NVIDIA card I don't pay attention to releases because it works correctly, with my ATI/AMD card in my laptop I keep on hoping that they fix my long standing issues.

At this point, I can't recommend ATI to anyone running Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Measured with? With ATI's recent history of not rendering full scenes again it wouldn't be surprising that the linux binary is actually rendering less. Also what modes were you running in? What were the renderers? Ogl, DX9, DX10? Have you taken screenshots of both screens to compare?
              Measured with an application I am developing. No abnormal optimizations I can detect. Running with the highest possible settings (purely GPU-bound), using quad-buffer stereo and disabling vsync brings the fps down to ~61 on Vista and ~72 on ArchLinux. This is at 1280x1024 on the 9.3 drivers. Reproducible with both OpenGL 2.1 and 3.0 contexts.

As pointed out above, fglrx has excellent 3d performance. Video and compiz are the workloads it struggles with, which is understandable given the workstation background of the driver.

Comment

So the argument boils down to the nvidia-using people trying to present themselves as 'practical', "yes it's a blob but who cares, it works better than anything ATI has to offer", and the ati-using people stress the philosophical / ideological side and the advantages of using FOSS software.

(I'm ignoring fglrx here since it's a pile of horseshit imho.)

In essence I think both sides have good arguments. Though as an ATI user, my only problem with the nvidia-argument is that performance has never been the _only_ key issue on Linux. I mean, the approach of "it should just work and work well" is very Windows-centric. So everyone of you who preaches it here and elsewhere, why do you use Linux to begin with?

I mean, Linux doesn't have many areas where its applications are superior in functionality to Windows; there are just as many and varied programs for Windows, so you can't be complaining about that either; and games are still largely a Windows domain, so that's not a reason by itself to use Linux either.

So why do you even use Linux with this approach of "it should just work and I shouldn't be bothered with it"? Isn't that just using the wrong OS?

Maybe people who have the wrong mentality should just keep to Windows instead of switching and bringing the wrong views with them about how software should be. And that sentence cannot be accused of some form of elitism: I have been a Windows user myself longer than Linux, I only switched about five years ago.

Comment

The problem with ATI is always that when you find a problem which seems to be specific to one app and that app is unknown than you are basically ignored for long time (if you call it normal that bug found with gl2benchmark took over 1 year to fix then you must be a huge fan). If a very widely used app then chances are higher that there would be a fix. But in some cases ATI always fails. fglrx is even worse than the limited xv support of the free driver. xv with fglrx is unable to provide flickerfree video and shows green bars with some res which are not divideable by 16. Nv has absolutely no problem showing the same video with xv or vdpau nor has the free driver. As this problem seems to generic to all fglrx drivers nobody really tested video playback, thats 100% sure.

Comment

They problem is not because of ATI's 'a little bit inferior' driver land, it's because it is well below expectation.

I've waited FGLRX to solve some very basic problems for like 3 years. My switch to nvidia is triggered by Ubuntu 9.04's release. Nvidia's blob is already compatible with X-Server 1.6, but FGLRX? no f**king way they could accomplish that. OSS? The holy brand new 3D stack still gonna take another year to mature.

IMO before this promised 3D stack is proven to be useful, I'd better stick with nvidia. I'm a programmer with 15 years of experience and 10+ years of 3D programming, and currently in employment in a respectable 3D CAD company as a software engineer (and is well paid). I want to contribute to the OSS world with some easy to use Linux OGL Shader development tool as my hobby project (ShaderStudioMAX was my one manned project in 2003-ish and yes, it was for Windows exclusively because I wasn't using Linux until since 2005). Guess which card I have to stick to, just so I could use as a working OpenGL platform? ATI's OpenGL stack is so broken that it even ignores whether there is a Depth buffer being created or not in glutInitDisplayMode() call. Quite pathetic for them and I know for sure that even if I fire the bug report they will ignore it.

What do you call a very sick man who refuses to accept any medical treatment? A DEAD MAN.

Fortunately for ATI they chose a death-and-rebirth way to fix it.
                    Last edited by FunkyRider; 08 April 2009, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Unigine Tropics
                      OpenGL
                      1680x1050
                      4x AA
                      16x AF
                      Shaders High
                      Textures High
                      Filter Trilinear
                      Reflection
                      Refraction
                      Occlusion
                      Volumetric

Ubuntu 8.10
                      fps: 25.7
                      score: 648

Windows XP
                      fps: 26.6
                      score: 670

Unigine Sanctuary
                      OpenGL
                      1680x1050
                      4x AA
                      16x AF
                      Shaders High
                      Textures High
                      Filter Trilinear
                      Translucence
                      Parallax Mapping
                      Occlusion
                      Reflection
                      Refraction
                      Scattering
                      Volumetric
                      HDR
                      DOF

Ubuntu 8.10
                      score: 1190

Windows XP
                      score: 1191

Now don't you find it odd that similar system (PhenII,[email protected],8800GT first single and then sli) with exception of the GPU get identical results?

OpenGL
                      1680x1050
                      4x AA
                      16x AF
                      Shaders High
                      Textures High
                      Filter Trilinear
                      Reflection
                      Refraction
                      Occlusion
                      Volumetric

openSUSE 11.1