Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

Phoronix: NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

NVIDIA announced yesterday they would be releasing DLSS Linux support tomorrow and indeed they have delivered on that first milestone of Deep Learning Super Sampling support for Linux gamers. NVIDIA has published their first 470 driver series beta in the form of the NVIDIA 470.42.01 build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And not a word about fixing kernel panic with DP displays in release notes...

Comment

Only need the latest version of mesa to use XWayland?

Comment

well now wayland can become a thing

Comment

If there's DMA-BUF support (not clear to me from the changelog) that's the last piece for video hardware acceleration over vdpau-to-vaapi in firefox for nvidia users.

Comment

NVIDIA Posts 470 Linux Driver Beta With Better Wayland Support, DLSS + Improved PRIME

... And async reprojection support for VR

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              well now wayland can become a thing
              Almost kind of. Wayland will still have compatibility issues until all applications people use are fully programmed for it.

But also this is a beta driver. Seeing some Wayland issues on my end. The current 470 driver both works worse and better than it did before. One application now works fine but the desktop environment isn't working properly with it. X11 no longer works for me either so it forces Wayland. But since that's not working correctly, I will have to drop back in driver versions. This one is no go.
              Last edited by ix900; 22 June 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Almost kind of. Wayland will still have compatibility issues until all applications people use are fully programmed for it.

But also this is a beta driver. Seeing some Wayland issues on my end. The current 470 driver both works worse and better than it did before. One application now works fine but the desktop environment isn't working properly with it.
                Applications generally won't have compatibility issues thanks to X-Wayland. They don't need to be specifically programmed for Wayland.

For for this release, it enables xwayland on Nvidia with some caveats, including that you need to deploy a GIT version of Xwayland, and you need a few other libraries to be up to date. Even with that met, it has documented limitations in this release.

Comment

Link to README section about XWayland support:

Cheers,
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

But also this is a beta driver. Seeing some Wayland issues on my end. The current 470 driver both works worse and better than it did before. One application now works fine but the desktop environment isn't working properly with it. X11 no longer works for me either so it forces Wayland. But since that's not working correctly, I will have to drop back in driver versions. This one is no go.
                    it's a beta driver, problems are usual. It's a big driver, the biggest I can remember

Comment

Working...
                    X