NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Just because it isn't open source doesn't mean it isn't good. They're pretty fast with getting out new features, updating to newer kernels, they provide a GUI, and they usually have really good day one support. Intel and AMD might have FOSS drivers but NVIDIA does edge them out once you look at features and tools offered.

I'd still buy AMD as someone who installs a lot of operating systems, but I totally get why people would want an NVIDIA GPU.
    In terms of GPU support, i'd say that Intel is the gold standard. Their drivers support all commonly used standards, are always mainlined into kernel/mesa months ahead of product release, and also provide some "prosumer features". If they release a good dGPU product and keep up that kind of support, it'll blow both AMD and Nvidia out of the water in terms of the software quality. I hope they can at least push AMD to do a better job of software support if DG2 is good(RADV devs should not have to reverse-engineer the raytracing instructions on AMD, and ROCm should run on RDNA, and graphics cards should work day 1 even on 6 month cadence distros)

Comment

but NVIDIA does edge them out once you look at features and tools offered.
      You seem to sometimes forget that this is a Linux(ish) forum? Nvidia offers crap fan controls, no undervolting, no VAAPI, a shitty Xorg driver, weird bugs/slowdowns vs. their Windows drivers and questionable Wayland support in practice.
      The way how AMD develops amdvlk and their opencl driver is annoying (to put it mildly), still lots of Linux stuff is far better than Nvidia's. Nvidia Linux driver also lacks a ton of features vs. the Windows one as well, it basically has only disadvantages vs. Windows.

SyXbiT The 6800 would look much better with an Arch based setup and e.g. simple mesa-git build via AUR PKGBUILD, I don't know why a distribution is used that isn't for FOSS gaming...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        You seem to sometimes forget that this is a Linux(ish) forum? Nvidia offers crap fan controls, no undervolting, no VAAPI, a shitty Xorg driver, weird bugs/slowdowns vs. their Windows drivers and questionable Wayland support in practice.
        The way how AMD develops amdvlk and their opencl driver is annoying (to put it mildly), still lots of Linux stuff is far better than Nvidia's. Nvidia Linux driver also lacks a ton of features vs. the Windows one as well, it basically has only disadvantages vs. Windows.

SyXbiT The 6800 would look much better with an Arch based setup and e.g. simple mesa-git build via AUR PKGBUILD, I don't know why a distribution is used that isn't for FOSS gaming...
        not really, nvidia driver is much better than nvidia, windows vs linux? they support what exists in linux world, why they should support something only for windows in their linux driver? undervolting works in linux, vaapi? they have vdpau who is opensource and older but ok, slowdowns? you never used nvidia. Amd open great, if you want to wait years for something simple to work, the intel at least do a good a job, I hope their new gpu are good for general propose in two years, best support in linux world

Comment

You seem to forget that these are Linux benchmarks, that NVIDIA usually has the best results, and that some Linux people care about results and aren't hung up on licensing and other nerd shit like we are. NVIDIA produces results, has done so for a long time, the competition plays catch-up, and you pay a premium for it. That's just how it is.

I'd wager that a lot of Linux drivers are lacking when compared to the Windows version. I accepted that back in the early 00's and recognize that the driver situation is both better now and still lacking when compared to Windows. Sadly, that also is what it is. It doesn't help that when people like me say AMD/Intel Control Panel, Windows Feature Equivalents, etc we're basically told to STFU and be happy with what we have. Why would the companies care to give us features when the common response on Linux forums seems to be "it's good enough; be happy you have what you have; I don't need XYZ and can't understand why you do"?

Even on AMD and Intel GPUs Wayland support is questionable in practice if you're using a major desktop environment and not something specialized like Sway. Even with GNOME you need the right distribution and all the stars to align for a decent experience. It's getting better. Still, I feel like it's been so long I'm surprised we don't see "The Year of the Wayland Desktop" memes start popping up whenever Wayland is brought up so I don't know if Wayland support is the best sword to use for this argument.

Comment

The 6800 would look much better with an Arch based setup and e.g. simple mesa-git build via AUR PKGBUILD, I don't know why a distribution is used that isn't for FOSS gaming...
            Well it because Ubuntu is more popular. I much prefer to see benchmarks on my (and so many others) distribution of choice, so I would know how would the card work right out of the box.

Comment

You forgot to mention the out of tree issues once you build the kernel a bit unorthodox with rt patchsets or with additional optimization flags.

Comment

You seem to forget that these are Linux benchmarks, that NVIDIA usually has the best results
                Seems like you want to bend reality to meet your needs. Hey, I've run a dozen of my own benchmarks Windows vs. Linux with RDNA2 (+others), even Michael's tests reflect a strong position of the 6800 XT vs. the 3080 with Mesa drivers, but you apparently (think to) know better. Ok then...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  Kudos to Nvidia! I am toying with possibly getting a 3070 TI though I really want the 3080 TI. Their Linux support is second to none. I have a 3090 for use in AI/ML work and it is untouchable in performance Would like to replace the 1070 I use for gaming while the 3090 is being hammered training.
                  NVIDIA's Linux support is amongst the worst. If they work, they work, great performance and all. If they don't, they're taking your entire system down with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    why buggy?
                    I don't know about his case use, but with my 5500XT stacked textures with alpha channels flicker. It's been a long lived driver bug, and ruins nearly any game.

Comment

Seems like you want to bend reality to meet your needs. Hey, I've run a dozen of my own benchmarks Windows vs. Linux with RDNA2 (+others), even Michael's tests reflect a strong position of the 6800 XT vs. the 3080 with Mesa drivers, but you apparently (think to) know better. Ok then...
                      That's one card out of how many in the past 10+ years???

Comment

Working...
                      X