Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470.76 WSL Driver Released

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470.76 WSL Driver Released

While waiting for NVIDIA to publicly launch a beta of their much anticipated 470 Linux driver series, today they issued a new 470.76 release of their WSL "Windows Subsystem for Linux" driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the EEE is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
      So the EEE is complete.
      This is part of Extend. Extinguish begins when WSL has more users than bare-metal Linux.

Comment

Unpopular opinion:

Embrace and Extend is good. It means new/better capabilities for users.

As for extinguish - well, if linux sucks enough that it can't keep from being extinguished, that's kind of it's own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Unpopular opinion:

As for extinguish - well, if linux sucks enough that it can't keep from being extinguished, that's kind of it's own fault.
          Yup... pretty much 100% agree! I must admit I used WSL for a while... and I think it may even be on my windows partition... not sure though, its been many months since looking a it. I just find windows a pain to use these days, though WSL is for sure a bright spot... even if it can fulfill most things, I struggle with the windows user interface these days... Give me KDE or Gnome on WSL replacing the windows shell and let me run windows and linux apps from there and then I might look at it again... but then its going to just be Winux...

Comment

Unpopular opinion:

Unpopular but very true.

Comment

Unpopular opinion:

As if Linux is mostly run on the Desktop ...
              ... the year of the Linux Desktop is coming ...
              ... just some years...
              ... hey see? Docker is on the Windows and Mac! It's the year of the Linux desktop!

🤣

In a more general sense, extinguish phase is good or bad depending on context.
              In the best case it's innovation and in the worst case it's unlawful, because there is a too big profit for the state to act against it.

Comment

If you get beaten up by someone who is bigger and better than you, it is kind of your own fault for not being better?

Whilst technically true, it still removes software from the ecosystem that benefit niche users better than the mainstream OS. For example, I will absolutely not engage with DRM, so if Linux / BSD fell to Windows because "Windows is better", that would leave me with no alternative but piracy.

Comment

Unpopular opinion:

If embrace and extend is not done with extinguish being the end goal, then I agree. But everything that MS has ever touched has ended up being an absolute mess that depends on other MS software/services/proprietary garbage. Skype was brilliant, before MS destroyed it (I know that they bought the company, so it's not EEE), but isn't the "extend" part, where MS extends something that they've "embraced", to the point where it's so messy and broken that it's useless? They kind of just do this by default to their own software, but people keeps putting up with it, because they're vendor-locked-in. Even if you're not from the beginning, as soon as you start sending data files between companies, it's assumed that both uses MS office, so those are the format of the files that are being sent. It's near impossible to get around MS office, and if there's any complexity to the files, it's near impossible to avoid Windows.

Edit:
                  If MS can extinguish Linux, it's not that Windows is better, it's that they have so many people's nuts in a vice.

Comment

Extinguishing can certainly happen in unfair, uncompetitive, and unfortunate ways. But it can also happen naturally.

The story of Linux is basically EEE against Unix, and that's not a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X