NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
    The 3080 Ti is just a slightly downgraded 3090 probably made with chips that didn't quite make the cut to become 3090. You can't use it for production because of the small VRAM and its performance in games is not that much better than 3080. The yield will also probably won't be very high so even with the hashrate limiters you'll have a hard time getting it even if you were willing to spend the money. Only someone truly insane would buy a 3080 Ti.
    They are not making3080TI chips special. They are trying to make 3090s and they have issues with them. When they bin them out they work better than a 3080 but because they had to blow fuses it isn't a full fledged 3090. To save these chips they then put them in cards that are going to be between a 3090 and a 3080. They are not going to juice them up as much as they can because they want to split the difference between the two products they already have. They know they can get more for an upgraded chip so that is what they are going to do.

In not the terrible long future they are going to have cards that sit on the shelf a while and they are playing the long game by not making a 3080ti so good it kills their future 3090 sales.

Comment

As Linus said on LTT yesterday, by giving the 3080Ti half the VRAM of a 3090, they can potentially make twice as many cards (subject to processor availability, obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
        As Linus said on LTT yesterday, by giving the 3080Ti half the VRAM of a 3090, they can potentially make twice as many cards (subject to processor availability, obviously).
        And since the processor availability is probably the bottleneck they won't be able to ship 3080 Ti in any meaningful quantities unless they want to cut back on 3090 production.

Comment

Out of stock in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

6800XT on Linux looks amazing. Both performance and power consumption.

Comment

"$1199 USD"

That's an error, Mike. Multiply it by 3 and you'll have the correct price.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
                I am not aware of that Micron GDDR6X is the bottleneck. As far as I was aware it was Samsung or TSMC being a problem production wise.

To be honest, quoting GN, looking at just MSRP value it is bad card, because it competes with overprices 6900XT and 3090 and none of them are good products for gamers and 3080Ti is bad product as well. 3090 at least has decent usage in productivity (like really best economic and at the same time top tier choice for Blender GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
                  6800XT on Linux looks amazing. Both performance and power consumption.
                  Only if you ignore the raytracing results. Taking them into account, AMD is fucked very hard.
                  And with DLSS coming even to proton, what does AMD have to offer?

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post

Only if you ignore the raytracing results. Taking them into account, AMD is fucked very hard.
                    And with DLSS coming even to proton, what does AMD have to offer?
                    That has been a concern for me lately with wanting to eventually snag a Radeon card. I mean I am running Resident Evil Village with my old GTX 1070 and it runs it magnificently with 6.9-GE-2 and people are having serious issues with that game on AMD cards.

I am on a second playthrough, and it just runs the bajeebaz out of that game.

Hoping AMD pulls through with their GPU's on Linux, I really enjoy their stuff.
                    Last edited by creative; 04 June 2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Anyone who thinks this card is overpriced or expensive should realize what it actually is. Its 3090 with a bit less power and half the VRAM and that's where NVIDIA are targeting it.
                      I suspect the primary reason this card exists is because of the shortage of chips (including the memory chips NVIDIA uses for RAM on its cards) and by cutting the VRAM on this card they can produce more cards for the same amount of (hard to get) RAM chips. The fact that it has a bit less power than a 3090 means GPU dies that don't pass the QC for a 3090 might be able to pass the QC for a 3080 Ti and therefore not go to waste.
                      Last edited by jonwil; 07 June 2021, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X