NVIDIA 470 Series To Be The Last Supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
    Not completely unexpected. I have a 750ti and was expecting official driver support to end within the next 2 years, so was planning on upgrading anyway, but whether or not nvidia gets my business again depends entirely on what cards are available at a reasonable price. And with the market as it is now, it looks like I'm stuck with this card for the next several years.
    Your message is phrased somewhat confusingly, but just in case, 750Ti is Maxwell (not Kepler), so it will probably have official support past the 470 series driver.

BTW the 750Ti was the best deal I've ever had on a GPU. Bought mine in 2015, sold it just 4 months ago, and it was still going strong (I have a 720p@60Hz monitor so it still ran several games at medium settings).

Comment

You all should shut the f**k up and allow true voices to be heard. Birdie has more patches than you and he also has been using linux for longer than you. This of course means that he is automatically right on NVIDIA subjects and you all are some sort of entitled AMD fanboys using Ubuntu to be cool most likely (and not because in 2021 Windows still can't delete files). Let's wait for him to speak first

Comment

It's not all about games or 3D rendering in general. There is also video decoding and encoding, compute, and probably other things that I'm not aware of. All of that is not supported at all by nouveau.

Not having video decoding support is a deal breaker for me, and I also use the video encoder for fast transcoding (the quality of NVENC is exceptionally high among other GPUs with the right tuning).
        This means that nouveau is useless in those cases.

In general, while nouveau is a respectable piece of software (given its context), it should never be considered as a substitute for the proprietary driver, as this article might imply.
        Hopefully 3 years is enough time for people to upgrade to something newer, even if it's an low-end GPU, which should still be a decent upgrade at that point.
        Last edited by idash; 21 May 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
          You all should shut the f**k up and allow true voices to be heard. Birdie has more patches than you and he also has been using linux for longer than you. This of course means that he is automatically right on NVIDIA subjects and you all are some sort of entitled AMD fanboys using Ubuntu to be cool most likely (and not because in 2021 Windows still can't delete files). Let's wait for him to speak first
          Thar's just nice lol. Did you just come out of left field or what? Who cares.

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

it won't.

i have 750ti in a dedicated stepmania setup and for this particular purpose this card perfectly holds up.

this application does not require some extreme gpu performance, but now i am starting to get a bit worried. card of that generation is still perfectly usable for many tasks.

i think i'll have to see how well it works with nouveau then.
          You can always use it in another computer for other tasks if you really feel that it needs to be used

The GPU performance itself is more limiting than the driver will ever be. You can always use that GPU. That isn't changing. I don't know why you want the latest features or whatever with a product that's really old now. Life doesn't really work that way in the world of products. It has had long support already. Not even your phone gets that kind of support. I literally see no need to complain or be worried.
          Last edited by ix900; 21 May 2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by idash View Post
            It's not all about games or 3D rendering in general. There is also video decoding and encoding, compute, and probably other things that I'm not aware of. All of that is not supported at all by nouveau.

Not having video decoding support is a deal breaker for me, and I also use the video encoder for fast transcoding (the quality of NVENC is exceptionally high among other GPUs with the right tuning).
            This means that nouveau is useless in those cases.

In general, while nouveau is a respectable piece of software (given its context), it should never be considered as a substitute for the proprietary driver, as this article might imply.
            Hopefully 3 years is enough time for people to upgrade to something newer, even if it's an low-end GPU, which should still be a decent upgrade at that point.
            Nvenc is a great usecase, but decoding depends on your use case. If your use case is YouTube, then none of these cards support decoding the VP9 or AV1 codec used by YouTube, so you are still software decoding either way. If it is your own videos you have encoded yourself, especially if using the Nvenc on the same card, then you are correct.

This is the downside to hardware decoding, being locked to only certain formats. The rest of issues are true enough. ( I say this with a GT 710 as my daily driver.)

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
              You can always use it in another computer for other tasks if you really feel that it needs to be used
              That is the key, it should be the user the one who decides if a piece of equipment is useful or not, not some arbitrary limit by the vendor of such piece of equipment.

For example in my particular case I have several ATI cards with 4 heads which are perfectly fine for displaying alert boards.

If I'm to buy a brand new card I would have to shell +$500 and with the current shortage who knows how much it would cost.

For me the cards albeit old are very valuable.

I have another example; "colorimeters" any colorimeter from the XP/Vista era doesn't work on Windows 10, yet they will keep working on Linux until they break or degrade as to be physically useless.

Sure one can buy a newer colorimeter if he's got the money, but what if it is not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

This is the downside to hardware decoding, being locked to only certain formats. The rest of issues are true enough. ( I say this with a GT 710 as my daily driver.)
                I did actually have a GT 710 as my daily driver too. It served me very well for a few years on my old PC from 2008, specifically for video decoding.

You are right about YouTube. VP9 is standard on YouTube nowadays, and AV1 is also starting to become common. But AVC/H264 is still being used as well (albeit not for 4K anymore).
                I never watch videos on the browser itself anyway. I use youtube-dl to select the specific format/codec that I want and stream them on MPV.
                That's the best solution (that I know of) if you're stuck with a GPU that doesn't support VP9 decoding, and I'm sure there are more ways to select AVC specifically.

That way your card can still be useful for streaming videos. That's why I'm emphasizing video decoding because it was an important aspect of extending the viability of my old system.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
                  Your message is phrased somewhat confusingly, but just in case, 750Ti is Maxwell (not Kepler), so it will probably have official support past the 470 series driver.

BTW the 750Ti was the best deal I've ever had on a GPU. Bought mine in 2015, sold it just 4 months ago, and it was still going strong (I have a 720p@60Hz monitor so it still ran several games at medium settings).
                  Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Not bad 12 years manufacturers support on the GTX600, AMD dropped support on my HD4000 based laptop 2 years after purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by idash View Post
                      I never watch videos on the browser itself anyway. I use youtube-dl to select the specific format/codec that I want and stream them on MPV.
                      That's the best solution (that I know of) if you're stuck with a GPU that doesn't support VP9 decoding, and I'm sure there are more ways to select AVC specifically.
                      Download h264ify for Firefox. Makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos

Comment

Working...
                      X