NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - Windows vs. Linux GPU Compute Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - Windows vs. Linux GPU Compute Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - Windows vs. Linux GPU Compute Performance

Following the recent RTX 30 series Linux gaming benchmarks and RTX 30 compute comparison, I was curious how the Linux performance for the flagship GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card compares to the Windows 10 performance in various GPU compute workloads. Well, here are those benchmarks for those wondering about Vulkan / OpenCL / CUDA / OptiX compute performance between Windows and Linux with the very latest NVIDIA drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux vs windows on nvidia gaming benchmarks would be interesting. If I remember correctly, there are already some results for AMD gpus available.

Comment

Interesting how consistent some of these are. Perhaps that's a good thing, where the GPU is a bottleneck rather than the OS.

Comment

Something stuck out to me... "Waifu"?! I had to look this up. Apparently it's some sorta image upscaler: https://linuxreviews.org/Waifu2x

Comment

Originally posted by Volta
          After this I can imagine birdie's schizophrenia getting worse. His beloved nvidia betrayed him and together with Linux destroyed his favorite spy OS windows in graphics benchmark.
          The geometric mean comparison is 76.71 vs 76.05.
          0.66 points, it's less than 1%. I wouldn't say Linux destroyed Windows, but I still think it's a great result for its consistency across the board

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

The geometric mean comparison is 76.71 vs 76.05.
            0.66 points, it's less than 1%. I wouldn't say Linux destroyed Windows, but I still think it's a great result for its consistency across the board
            Geometric mean is probably the least valuable summary. Summing up percent advantages it's: 114,3 Linux vs 82,3 Windows.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 11 May 2021, 02:24 PM. Reason: I am not a doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Geometric mean is probably the least valuable summary. Summing up percent advantages it's: 114,3 Linux vs 82,3 Windows.
              I don't think so. The sum of the percentages is misleading.
              If Windows had been twice as fast as Linux in one test and tied in all the others, by your logic it would have destroyed Linux...
              Last edited by tildearrow; 11 May 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
                Linux vs windows on nvidia gaming benchmarks would be interesting. If I remember correctly, there are already some results for AMD gpus available.
                They would, but I've already had fun with trying to get Quake 2 RTX working on Linux.

Works fine in Windows (for the all of an hour I had it installed) but it crashes complaining while loading on Arch/Ubuntu for me.

edit: OK, I finished what I was running and decided to check was the error was. Version 1.4.1; "FATAL: Could not find a suitable Vulkan queue family!" Nothing more helpful than that.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them, as I've installed, tweaked, uninstalled and generally messed around with just about everything I can find that is remotely Vulkan or nVidia driver related without any success.
                Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 11 May 2021, 04:12 AM. Reason: Added more information.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I don't think so. The sum of the percentages is misleading.
                  If Windows had been twice as fast as Linux in one test and tied in all the others, by your logic it would have destroyed Linux...
                  Yes, but both are quite misleading. In current case Windows could win by winning one benchmark more by beating Linux by 1% in each of the won benchmarks. Meanwhile Linux would beat Windows in 49% of other benchmarks by let's say 60% margin and the winner would be Windows. Geometric mean would be far from showing such disproportion. There's a need for average margin of the advantage in each benchmark. Like: (15% + 23%) / 2 = 19 vs (2% + 24%) / 2 = 13. It addresses the case you mentioned, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    Something stuck out to me... "Waifu"?! I had to look this up. Apparently it's some sorta image upscaler: https://linuxreviews.org/Waifu2x

Yes, it is a upscaler specialized for anything digitally drawn. It is really good.

Comment

Working...
                    X