NVIDIA Adding Experimental Vulkan Support For Executing CUDA Binaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Adding Experimental Vulkan Support For Executing CUDA Binaries

Phoronix: NVIDIA Adding Experimental Vulkan Support For Executing CUDA Binaries

Today's Vulkan 1.2.178 specification update notes a rather peculiar vendor extension in the works: VK_NVX_binary_import...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought that should have been one of the main benefits of Vulkan over OpenGL: no vendor specific lock-ins.

Comment

CUDA is really beginning to be a pain now.
      I would love to use CUDA in a game, but since it can't be used on GPU's from other vendors I wont.
      Eventually Nvidia has to decide if CUDA is going to be a mainstream API or a niche platform.

Comment

Attempt to kill Vulkan Compute? No, thanks....

Comment

I'm trying to understand what real-world applications would actually care about this, other than maybe Blender.

Comment

As always with 9 out of 10 news about this vendor:
            Fuck you Nvidia!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Attempt to kill Vulkan Compute? No, thanks....
              I was just about to say the same thing :-)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I'm trying to understand what real-world applications would actually care about this, other than maybe Blender.
                I don't think it is quite the target as Blender already can leverage CUDA and Optix raytracing together.

Comment

baka0815 if i'm not wrong, there are a lot of vulkan extension specific to one vendor or another

Comment

As I have been told those extensions were *proposed* by one vendor but useful also to others. This one would be only useful to nv until they open up their binary format.

Comment

Working...
                    X