X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    Consumer complacence can be just as much at fault for lack of advancement and innovation as a monopoly.
    You are aware that nVidia is the only chip manufacturer that has turned a profit in the past two quarters and haven't announced layoffs, unlike AMD and Intel which are clearly struggling to keep up with nVidia's chip advancements. They are clearly doing something correct.

Or haven't you checked out the Tesla pci-e cards? Not innovative enough? Do they have to provide a holographic display before they are considered innovative by you?

Leave a comment:

• gtrawoger
    replied
    Consumer complacence can be just as much at fault for lack of advancement and innovation as a monopoly.
    True, but the only threat these companies take serious is a mass change to a different product than theirs. Just complains and finger waving isn't going to do it.
    And maybe nvidias driver isn't perfect, but there is just ATI as an alternative (for those of us who use 3D, i.e. games). And until ATI has their drivers up to snuff, there will be a "monopoly".

Sad.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
    What about call me when you upgrade your pc to something a little bit more recent?!
    What about an 8800GT is not recent, exactly? Or the 7900Gs? Even a 6600 couldn't be considered that far gone (the FX5400 is the "legacy" card that I used recently). This isn't just a singular experience I'm talking here; it's a series of headaches and it's all pretty recent.

Clearly I've ruffled feathers with my post, but I think it always bears mentioning when people play the "It works so much better!"-card that "better" doesn't imply "good" and there are varying criteria for "works." Consumer complacence can be just as much at fault for lack of advancement and innovation as a monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• krazy
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Yawn.

Call me when individuals who claim software is bad actually provide a 1:1 alternative or better.

Or when Phoronix remembers to mention that a driver from nvidia is prerelease, whichever comes first... I'm thinking the alternative driver will appear first.
    The former would be possible if nVidia released specs.

Leave a comment:

• srg_13
    replied
    3.1 supported already? Very impressive - they must have been working on the draft spec for quite some time...

I suppose that it's way too late for the final release to ship with Ubuntu 9.04 though, which is a shame...

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Lulz...another ATI vs. nVidia thread

And yes I am an nVidia user...my 7900GS really works well so far with the blob, and haven't tried it wit Nouveau yet

Leave a comment:

• FunkyRider
    replied
    Yawn.

Call me when nvidia.ko stops trying to deref null pointers and oopsing my kernel. When it stops being terrible at controlling its own fan. When it learns how to rotate screens and do multiple monitors properly. When it can manage to have a single release that doesn't have performance regression or "signal handling issues." Or how about a "great legacy driver" that manages to not create strange green lesions on my screen and an eventual panic if I don't figure out what the afflicted app is and kill it post haste? Hell, even just tell me when it can manage to take less memory than Firefox.

nvidia.ko is bad software. That fglrx is also poor doesn't change this fact.
    What about call me when you upgrade your pc to something a little bit more recent?!

Leave a comment:

• Ysangkok
    replied
    The linked news post (185.13 Beta Linux driver) is actually a post about another 180 release, the 180.41. The 185 release happened on March 14. The 185.13 is linked to from the 180.41 article.

Leave a comment:

• Porter
    replied
    Yawn.

Call me when nvidia.ko stops trying to deref null pointers and oopsing my kernel. When it stops being terrible at controlling its own fan. When it learns how to rotate screens and do multiple monitors properly. When it can manage to have a single release that doesn't have performance regression or "signal handling issues." Or how about a "great legacy driver" that manages to not create strange green lesions on my screen and an eventual panic if I don't figure out what the afflicted app is and kill it post haste? Hell, even just tell me when it can manage to take less memory than Firefox.
    I don't have any of these problems. I'm even running multiple monitors in different resolutions and spanning the desktop with no problems whatsoever. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Yawn.

Yawn.

Call me when individuals who claim software is bad actually provide a 1:1 alternative or better.

Or when Phoronix remembers to mention that a driver from nvidia is prerelease, whichever comes first... I'm thinking the alternative driver will appear first.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X