No announcement yet.

Four Days Pass, Time For New NVIDIA Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd just like to point out that both nvidia and ati already supported all the options within the new opengl release - it's just that they might have different names (i.e an extension rather than a core function).

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Seriously, sometimes I wonder why NVidia just doesn't tell the OSS crowd a big "screw you guys" and just leave. With comments like this, I would. They provide kick-ass support up to par with Windows, and then people come along with "this is not enough".
      Totally agree.

I sometimes wonder, really do, if all of the people who clamor for open source drivers and refuse to touch NVidia's closed (and working) drivers are either (a) really windows users or (b) people who just boot to a VT and work from there.

There's really only one choice with graphics under Linux, and it's NVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
        Yawn.

Call me when nvidia.ko stops trying to deref null pointers and oopsing my kernel. When it stops being terrible at controlling its own fan. When it learns how to rotate screens and do multiple monitors properly. When it can manage to have a single release that doesn't have performance regression or "signal handling issues." Or how about a "great legacy driver" that manages to not create strange green lesions on my screen and an eventual panic if I don't figure out what the afflicted app is and kill it post haste? Hell, even just tell me when it can manage to take less memory than Firefox.
        Yawn.

Call me when individuals who claim software is bad actually provide a 1:1 alternative or better.

Or when Phoronix remembers to mention that a driver from nvidia is prerelease, whichever comes first... I'm thinking the alternative driver will appear first.

Comment

Yawn.

Call me when nvidia.ko stops trying to deref null pointers and oopsing my kernel. When it stops being terrible at controlling its own fan. When it learns how to rotate screens and do multiple monitors properly. When it can manage to have a single release that doesn't have performance regression or "signal handling issues." Or how about a "great legacy driver" that manages to not create strange green lesions on my screen and an eventual panic if I don't figure out what the afflicted app is and kill it post haste? Hell, even just tell me when it can manage to take less memory than Firefox.
          I don't have any of these problems. I'm even running multiple monitors in different resolutions and spanning the desktop with no problems whatsoever. *shrug*

Comment

The linked news post (185.13 Beta Linux driver) is actually a post about another 180 release, the 180.41. The 185 release happened on March 14. The 185.13 is linked to from the 180.41 article.

Comment

Yawn.

nvidia.ko is bad software. That fglrx is also poor doesn't change this fact.
              What about call me when you upgrade your pc to something a little bit more recent?!

Comment

Lulz...another ATI vs. nVidia thread

And yes I am an nVidia user...my 7900GS really works well so far with the blob, and haven't tried it wit Nouveau yet

Comment

3.1 supported already? Very impressive - they must have been working on the draft spec for quite some time...

I suppose that it's way too late for the final release to ship with Ubuntu 9.04 though, which is a shame...

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    Yawn.

Call me when individuals who claim software is bad actually provide a 1:1 alternative or better.

Or when Phoronix remembers to mention that a driver from nvidia is prerelease, whichever comes first... I'm thinking the alternative driver will appear first.
                    The former would be possible if nVidia released specs.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                      What about call me when you upgrade your pc to something a little bit more recent?!
                      What about an 8800GT is not recent, exactly? Or the 7900Gs? Even a 6600 couldn't be considered that far gone (the FX5400 is the "legacy" card that I used recently). This isn't just a singular experience I'm talking here; it's a series of headaches and it's all pretty recent.

Clearly I've ruffled feathers with my post, but I think it always bears mentioning when people play the "It works so much better!"-card that "better" doesn't imply "good" and there are varying criteria for "works." Consumer complacence can be just as much at fault for lack of advancement and innovation as a monopoly.

Comment

Working...
                      X