Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC Receives Mainline Support For VDPAU

Phoronix: XBMC Receives Mainline Support For VDPAU

While AMD continues to sit on the sidelines of Linux video playback as they have yet to release the needed information to expose their X-Video Bitstream Acceleration (XvBA) interface, NVIDIA's video API continues being adopted by various open-source multimedia projects. NVIDIA engineers working on the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix had only provided official patches for FFmpeg and MPlayer while the open-source community has stepped up and provided the support in other software applications (such as MythTV, Xine, and VLC). Earlier this month we shared that the XBMC (formerly known as X-Box Media Center) project was working on VDPAU support in a separate branch of this multi-media program that's also used by Boxee...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XvBA doesn't exist... it's all an invention :P

Comment

As a long time XBMC user, I have been following the VDPAU development thread since it began. My HTPC is currently running on AMD integrated gfx. 780G chip set. The current release of XBMC has no hardware video support at all, but I definitely plan to get an Nvidia card when they have most of the kinds worked out of VDPAU in XBMC. I have been really happy with my AMD integrated graphics. It runs pretty well on my 720P plasma TV with a 2.8ghz dual core AMD cpu. But I have to say that AMD is losing me as a customer, even though seem to be doing very good things with their open source drivers. Hardware accelerated video in XBMC is going to be killer.

Comment

Yes, but next year will be awesome for ATI owners. And the year after that. Ad infinitum.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yes, but next year will be awesome for ATI owners. And the year after that. Ad infinitum.
          I personally wouldn't bet more than 1$ on that statement Time will say the truth

Comment

I detected a tiny whiff of sarcasm in RealNC's statement
            Test signature

Comment

AMD you really should hurry up with XvBA... Just a hint.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                XvBA doesn't exist... it's all an invention :P
                Another headline about video playback; the nvidia fanboys come out and gloat about how l33t they are; ATI fans whine like crazy as if it will accomplish something. Ad infinitum..

Comment

Working...
                X