Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Week, Another New NVIDIA Linux Driver

Phoronix: Another Week, Another New NVIDIA Linux Driver

It has not even been a week since the release of 185.13 Beta Linux driver, but today these Santa Clara engineers have pushed out yet another driver update for Linux. The NVIDIA 180.41 driver is this newest driver and it brings support for new Quadro FX graphics cards, improved power management on some systems, and bug-fixes. The NVIDIA 180.41 driver introduces support for the Quadro FX 380, Quadro FX 580, Quadro FX 1800, and Quadro FX 3800 workstation GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who cares about xf86-video-nv driver. My card would burn if i'd use this driver. It doesn't have any features.

I don't worry about them because i've got very often released nvidia proprietary driver.

For all those who want to buy new gfx and have got dilemma:
    Nvidia cards are THE BEST and company does care about it's customer

Comment

...as long, as your card isn't to old. GF2 and older aren't supported with Xorg 1.5 or 1.6 at all (no, this "nv" driver isn't better than just vesa).

Comment

GF2 is so old it has a beard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
          ...as long, as your card isn't to old. GF2 and older aren't supported with Xorg 1.5 or 1.6 at all (no, this "nv" driver isn't better than just vesa).
          GF 2 MX 400 does work on Ubuntu 8.10 with 96.43.11 driver so it supports Xorg 1.5 and Xorg 1.6. Didn't you know that?
          There are 13 cards that aren't supported with Xorg 1.5 or 1.6 and among them are even 10 years old gfx.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
            Nvidia cards are THE BEST and company does care about it's customer
            Surely they don't care about me. My laptop with a Quadro NVS130 does not work properly with their binary crap since I bought it one year ago.

I probably did a poor choice, I'll make sure to do a better one at the next buying decision.

Comment

Originally posted by giallu View Post
              Surely they don't care about me. My laptop with a Quadro NVS130 does not work properly with their binary crap since I bought it one year ago.

I probably did a poor choice, I'll make sure to do a better one at the next buying decision.
              Hey what about ATI they don't even properly support r500 and in the end they are ending the support at all. How long ago was r500 released (3-4 years ago)?

What I mean is NVIDIA does care the best for its customers from all brands. It is obvious that they can not uphold 100% of users satisfied.
              Nothing in this world can be 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                Hey what about ATI they don't even properly support r500 and in the end they are ending the support at all. How long ago was r500 released (3-4 years ago)?
                Right, but that just shows how closed source stuff hurts in the end. You are at the mercy of vendors, and they decide if and how long supporting your hardware.

However, ATI made something better: they released documentation without NDA attached, so now R500 _open_ drivers are coming along nicely, and those are not going to be discontinued, at least until there are developers with those cards in their hands...

THAT is the strength on Open Source

Comment

OpenSource is great for lowend, but if you want to unleash the full power of a card you are forced to use a binary driver. You can not play all games with oss driver yet you can play with fglrx for example, not even slower. Well if you have got use the nv driver with old gpus then it is not really fine too, but at least you get more Linux features with new cards. VDPAU is also a cool thing to play with...

Comment

You are at the mercy of vendors, and they decide if and how long supporting your hardware.
                    How long would you like to use GF2 MX? It's been almost 8 years and they didn't stoped to release new drivers for this hardware. I think that after 8 years your hardware is so old that it can wait to go for local museum.

[...]However, ATI made something better: they released documentation without NDA attached, so now R500 _open_ drivers are coming along nicely, and those are not going to be discontinued, at least until there are developers with those cards in their hands...

THAT is the strength on Open Source
                    Yeah and what about XvBA? Does ATI released documentation for XvBA for r600? I think not and that won't change any time soon. They can't even provide XvBA with closed drivers. It won't come along so nicely as you think.

NVIDIA on other side has got VDPAU for all hardware that supports it and NVIDIA in most released drivers fixes bugs with VDPAU.

Comment

Working...
                    X