Another Week, Another New NVIDIA Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnycat26 View Post
    Actually, I'd say the NVidia binary is more than 'okay', it's about 'as good as it can possibly get'. We've had VDPAU
    Well, it exists, but it's not exactly stable yet and requires jumpigh through hoops and compiling your own software. Ie lightyears away from what Nvidia offers on Windows.

If that is your level for 'as good as it can possibly get', I guess you call the Nvidia windows drivers 'super beyond ultra better than it could even possibly be' or something like that?

Yes, Nvidia binary blob is better than Ati, but AMD have come a long way paying for the development of 2 separate drivers at the same time. And long term, the OSS driver is EXTREMELY important... Combined CPU/GPU multicoe processors are just 1-2 years away... how will Nvidias alternative work on Linux with no OSS driver even in sight?

Comment

@Stedevil

I agree with you completely.

-----------------------------

There is also another aspect, because I don't think you realise what the opensource means. Don't you love that you don't have to install network, sound, motherboard or any other drivers in linux? That is only realisable with opensource drivers. Yes its easy saying that you don't care about open source drivers. But linux isn't what it is today without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stedevil View Post
        Well, it exists, but it's not exactly stable yet and requires jumpigh through hoops and compiling your own software. Ie lightyears away from what Nvidia offers on Windows.
        Really? As far as I can tell, doing anything on Linux requires compiling your own software or using a repository. And from the repos, I can get ffmpeg and MPlayer with VDPAU support.

Can I get anything like that from ATI? How about documentation for that feature?

I thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat26 View Post
          Really? As far as I can tell, doing anything on Linux requires compiling your own software or using a repository. And from the repos, I can get ffmpeg and MPlayer with VDPAU support.
          Just today I compiled Nvidia 180.41 & mplayer-vdpau-3532130

Which repos are you downloading these from? And when did you need to do such things on windows?

Can I get anything like that from ATI? How about documentation for that feature?
          VDPAU is the castrated version of CUDA available for *nix
          Why should that even work on Ati, ever?!?
          You seem seriously confused.

Comment

VDPAU is not CUDA, it only runs on the same gpus.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
              Who cares about xf86-video-nv driver. My card would burn if i'd use this driver. It doesn't have any features.

I don't worry about them because i've got very often released nvidia proprietary driver.

For all those who want to buy new gfx and have got dilemma:
              Nvidia cards are THE BEST and company does care about it's customer
              they just dont care enough to fix the insane stability issues which many are having....

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                VDPAU is not CUDA, it only runs on the same gpus.
                Sorry, meant DXVA

Comment

Originally posted by Stedevil View Post
                  Why should that even work on Ati, ever?!?
                  Isnt' that the perpetually missing-in-action XvBA?

Comment

It looks like we're having another gpu arguement...
                    I just came in here to say that Nvidia is based in Santa Clara, and I live in Santa Clara!

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
                      It looks like we're having another gpu arguement...
                      I just came in here to say that Nvidia is based in Santa Clara, and I live in Santa Clara!
                      What a classy argument.

Comment

Working...
                      X