NVIDIA Now Allows GeForce GPU Pass-Through For Windows VMs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Now Allows GeForce GPU Pass-Through For Windows VMs On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Now Allows GeForce GPU Pass-Through For Windows VMs On Linux

Along with today's NVIDIA 465 series Linux beta an exciting shift at the company is they are now supporting accelerated GPU access by VMs with their GeForce consumer GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would be huge if there's an easy way to do it. Like, just open your virtual machine and play. Do someone else know more about this? Will it be necessary to have 2 GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
      This would be huge if there's an easy way to do it. Like, just open your virtual machine and play. Do someone else know more about this? Will it be necessary to have 2 GPU?
      Per the NVIDIA link:

Do you need to have more than one GPU installed or can you leverage the same GPU being used by the host OS for virtualization?
      One GPU is required for the Linux host OS and one GPU is required for the Windows virtual machine.
      Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by BingoNightly View Post
        Do you need to have more than one GPU installed or can you leverage the same GPU being used by the host OS for virtualization?
        One GPU is required for the Linux host OS and one GPU is required for the Windows virtual machine.
        What's the point of the passthrough then? Wasn't it possible already to dedicate one GPU to a virtual machine?

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
          What's the point of the passthrough then? Wasn't it possible already to dedicate one GPU to a virtual machine?
          Good question, I'm wondering the same. AFAIK we have PCIe pass-through for ages.

Comment

I have a laptop with d-GPU geforce 960m. I don't know if this helps in my case.
            would I be able to set my host's GPU to my intel i-GPU and my virtual windows to my d-GPU? (there would be 2 GPUs in this case)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              Good question, I'm wondering the same. AFAIK we have PCIe pass-through for ages.
              You would get "error 43" in Windows because NVIDIA explicitly restricted such configuration. Of course workarounds and hacks exist. Also I think you couldnt do any work on such configuration because of licensing and all that legal stuff.

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
              would I be able to set my host's GPU to my intel i-GPU and my virtual windows to my d-GPU? (there would be 2 GPUs in this case)
              Tecnically yes, your GPU seems to be supported. I did that on mine laptop with RTX2060 using hacks. Display is connected to iGPU, Windows used NVIDIA. Now it should be much easier to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
                A while back I did this with on a PC. It required some extra configuration to the NVIDIA gpu to accept the passthrough. It is probably easier now.

Comment

I don't understand.
                  Is this about KVM or NVIDIA implemented something by itself?
                  Also, how Linux driver is the culprit here, while we're having "error 43" inside VM?

Comment

Now i get it. It's 465 Windows 10 driver, not Linux.

>Which GeForce GPUs and Windows OSes support virtualization?
                    The feature is enabled on all GeForce/TITAN GPUs supported in the R465 driver (Kepler and later for Desktop; Maxwell and later for Notebook) for Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                    X