NVIDIA Proposes Mesa Patches To Support Alternative GBM Back-Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post

My best guess is that they are just trying to find a legal way to interface GPL MESA with their proprietary driver, essentially a GPL condom II. MESA will look at this on closely.
    Also, I don't know if DMA-BUF will not run into legal issues at some point unless they don't opensource parts of their driver....
    Mesa is MIT licensed, not GPL. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...eson.build#L27

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
      I thought all kernel components are GPL or dual licensed with GPL. Am I missing something?
      Last edited by mppix; 30 March 2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

I thought all kernel components are GPL or dual licensed with GPL. Am I missing something?
        Mesa is userspace, not kernel. The kernel components are mostly MIT as well, which is how they're also incorporated into the BSD kernels without a complete reimplementation. it's just the kernel as a whole that's GPLv2, individual files only need to be of a compatible license and the core of the kernel and probably most of the modules are GPLv2.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post

Mesa is userspace, not kernel. The kernel components are mostly MIT as well, which is how they're also incorporated into the BSD kernels without a complete reimplementation. it's just the kernel as a whole that's GPLv2, individual files only need to be of a compatible license and the core of the kernel and probably most of the modules are GPLv2.
          +1 thx

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
            They implemented and improving EGLStreams for XWayland. If they are about to implement GBM, then it's weird to see that they are improving EGLStreams for XWayland.
            Let's wait and see what they invented.
            Just because they think EGLStreams is better and they want to use that over GBM; is not a good reason to not support GBM at all, and nvidia users on linux have suffered a long time because of that horrible decision to not support GBM at all.

Just because they're adding support for GBM now doesn't mean they have to be giving up on EGLStreams, theoretically let's give them that EGLStreams really is better than GBM; The truth is that if it is, then eventually people will shift away from GBM to EGLStreams; however the reality is that EGLStreams is not fully developed, it is therefore not fully documented and can therefore not really be used for anything other than experimental prototype implementations of EGLStreams compositors; as is shown by the fact that there exists not a single compositor that fully supports and runs stably on EGLStreams.

Maybe they just finally realized that no matter if they're right or wrong about EGLStreams being the superior solution, the fact is that EGLStreams is not ready yet (not to mention that only Nvidia is supporting EGLStreams so far which is a crippling, if not fatal, flaw for eglstreams, until everyone can use it as nvidia suggested; nobody's gonna use it.), but GBM is, and everyone is using GBM, and their refusal to support GBM condemns their users to be stuck on Xorg whether they want it or not, and that's just not good for anyone involved.

Comment

Working...
            X