Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kylew77
    replied
    Anyone know if there will be a binary Nvidia driver for FreeBSD 13.0? I bought a cheap Nvidia GPU for my FreeBSD rig because it is the best supported on that platform but I'm F***ed if they ever decide to stop supporting FreeBSD!

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Actually, open source is exactly why AMD can't implement an equivalent feature. The drivers being open to modification, anyone can comment out any protections.
    (Still, open source > closed source, but open also has its drawbacks.)
    Nvidia used to be already bad enough with not implementing needed features (wayland).
    Are we now starting intentional crippling a feature?

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied

Actually, open source is exactly why AMD can't implement an equivalent feature. The drivers being open to modification, anyone can comment out any protections.
    Exactly.
    Why would I want a driver that gimps my hardware?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

What a crazy 'feature' for a driver.
    This is why open source is so important.

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post

i'm confused. people on reddit claim that 1337 hackers bypassed the limiters, but this is saying 1337 hackers didn't, rather that nvidia's incompetence left out the limiters in a driver that was released by "accident." so what's true?

Nobody bypassed the protection, the claims were proven to be running other hashing algorithms, that's why the card were reporting more MH/s than expected.
    This leaked driver indeed lacked part of the protection, but it was an internal beta (supposedly geared towards testing OpenCL under WSL), so it's pretty buggy and doesn't even work right on all cards.
    A blunder on Nvidia's part, but not as monumental as the tech press would have you believe.

Leave a comment:

• fafreeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

i'm confused. people on reddit claim that 1337 hackers bypassed the limiters, but this is saying 1337 hackers didn't, rather that nvidia's incompetence left out the limiters in a driver that was released by "accident." so what's true?

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    That driver doesn't seem to work in most mining scenarios: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-c...-rate-limitier
    It still requires cards inserted directly into the motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• Drol
    replied

Will have beta 470?

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Waiting for the 470 Wayland-Yutoldme release.

Leave a comment:

• nvaert1986
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA 460.67 Linux Driver Brings A Few Fixes, 5.11 Kernel Compatibility

While we are very eager to see the NVIDIA 470 series Linux driver for at least having Wayland / DMA-BUF support improvements and OpenGL 3.0 support, for now the NVIDIA 460 series is the latest public stable series and today was updated to v460.67...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...7-Linux-Driver
    OpenGL 3.0 support...are we going back in time? xD I think you meant OpenCL ;-)

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    You don't actually need this for 5.11 unless of course you run into an issue. Older driver worked for me fine. Installed this one anyway.
    Yup, 5.11+460.56 here running as smooth as ever. 5.11 compatibility must be a copy paste from a previous release.

Originally posted by mikus View Post
    Probably just hurrying to block the fact they negated their whole new platforms that hobbled cryptomining, trying to put some GPU's into the hands of desktop users and gamers by adding the cryptohash limiters in drivers. Too bad all the cryptominers will already be buying these up with botnets and will just use their broken driver indefinitely.
    That driver doesn't seem to work in most mining scenarios: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-c...-rate-limitier
    It still requires cards inserted directly into the motherboard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X