• Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    So what does "half the hash rate" mean?
    (A) miners don't buy the card; Or
    (B) miners want 2x the cards?
    Cute, but if they can make money off a card, then I think the reality is that they'll take every card they can get, house, power, and cool.

Since greater density -> lower overheads, I think it's generally the case that having more GPUs that are slower isn't ideal.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by jabl View Post

Because you'd rather have a piece of hardware even with a driver that gimps cryptomining, than having no hardware at all because the miners are hoovering up all the production?
    So what does "half the hash rate" mean?
    (A) miners don't buy the card; Or
    (B) miners want 2x the cards?

Leave a comment:

• jabl
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
    Exactly.
    Why would I want a driver that gimps my hardware?
    Because you'd rather have a piece of hardware even with a driver that gimps cryptomining, than having no hardware at all because the miners are hoovering up all the production?

Leave a comment:

• d3coder
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Sure they can, but their firmware is not signed/closed so it can be modified at will, too.
    It's closed source and signed too. You can't modify it.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by d3coder View Post

This is too bold statement. AMD can implement this in firmware.
    Sure they can, but their firmware is not signed/closed so it can be modified at will, too.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
    OpenGL 3.0 support...are we going back in time? xD I think you meant OpenCL ;-)
    LOL.

Hey, does anyone know if there's anything like Mesa Matrix that tracks different vendors' OpenCL 3.0 feature-support?

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by d3coder View Post
    AMD can implement this in firmware.
    Exactly. Not that it'd be as easy to implement, but you'd truly have no recourse if they (or Nvidia) do it in a signed, binary firmware blob.

Leave a comment:

• d3coder
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Actually, open source is exactly why AMD can't implement an equivalent feature. The drivers being open to modification, anyone can comment out any protections.
    (Still, open source > closed source, but open also has its drawbacks.)

Nobody bypassed the protection, the claims were proven to be running other hashing algorithms, that's why the card were reporting more MH/s than expected.
    This leaked driver indeed lacked part of the protection, but it was an internal beta (supposedly geared towards testing OpenCL under WSL), so it's pretty buggy and doesn't even work right on all cards.
    A blunder on Nvidia's part, but not as monumental as the tech press would have you believe.
    This is too bold statement. AMD can implement this in firmware.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix_is_awesome
    replied
    Originally posted by fafreeman View Post

i'm confused. people on reddit claim that 1337 hackers bypassed the limiters, but this is saying 1337 hackers didn't, rather that nvidia's incompetence left out the limiters in a driver that was released by "accident." so what's true?
    From what I hear, Nvidia did *intentionally* or *unintentionally* leak the beta driver. But the vBIOS hack leak is from the manufacturer *MSI* possibly wanting to sell more cards. With Crypto at this price level, greed takes over and all sorts of shit happens.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Anyone know if there will be a binary Nvidia driver for FreeBSD 13.0? I bought a cheap Nvidia GPU for my FreeBSD rig because it is the best supported on that platform but I'm F***ed if they ever decide to stop supporting FreeBSD!
    You mean the drivers for FreeBSD direct from Nvidia ? because those are here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Just find a guide to install them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X