NVIDIA Pushes Out New Driver With No Change-Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtrawoger View Post
    Got an 7300GS here and it didn't work for me. I couldn't install it. It gave me an error that it couldn't create the nvidia.ko.

So, I assume that my GPU isn't supported. I had to go back to the 180.37.
    What was the error you getting?

Comment

Well dang it. I kinda gave up quickly. I just figured I'd try it again and record the error, and sure enough it installed fine.

Sorry for being misleading, since the error did state that either I used the wrong gcc version or my GPU wasn't supported. I was certain I had the right gcc version, so that left me with the other. Not sure now why it gave that error, and I am not able to reproduce it either.

Well, thanks for trying to help anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrawoger View Post
        Sorry for being misleading, since the error did state that either I used the wrong gcc version or my GPU wasn't supported. I was certain I had the right gcc version, so that left me with the other.
        Here's the literal text of the error message, from the source code:
        Code:
                ui_error(op, "Unable to load the kernel module '%s'.  This "
                         "happens [COLOR="Red"]most frequently[/COLOR] when this kernel module was "
                         "built against the wrong or improperly configured "
                         "kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs "
                         "from the one used to build the target kernel, or "
                         "if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and "
                         "prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining "
                         "ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or "
                         "NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is not supported "  
                         "by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.\n\n" 
                         "Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load "
                         "error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file "
                         "'%s' for more information.",
                         p->kernel_module_filename, op->log_file_name);
        They're just examples. There are a million possible reasons why a kernel module could fail to load on Linux, very few of which would be NVIDIA's fault.

Comment

Just tried the new notebook driver for my GF GO 7950GTX and it F I N A L L Y works the way it should. I don't think I am going to update ubuntu anytime soon, now that my system finally works the way it should.

Comment

Do what I do and use this repo for it.

Copy both apt lines into your sources and add the key. The key is easy to add. Just click on the key link and click again. Then you copy it to a text file and then add the key. He also has an intrepid PPA for those who don't want to use Jaunty. I'm using it on Jaunty Alpha 6 amd64 and it seems to work great. Install it from this PPA and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by rv65 View Post
              Do what I do and use this repo for it.

Copy both apt lines into your sources and add the key. The key is easy to add. Just click on the key link and click again. Then you copy it to a text file and then add the key. He also has an intrepid PPA for those who don't want to use Jaunty. I'm using it on Jaunty Alpha 6 amd64 and it seems to work great. Install it from this PPA and enjoy.
              Thanks for the repo... lazy people like me appreciate it!

One question though... the mplayer that is in it... does it have the VDPAU included? How does one use it? I mean, I installed it and used it to play a downloaded h.264 file (the one with the bunny) and it still pegs out one of my cores. (BTW, this is my laptop, which has a 8600M GT)

Comment

The driver includes the VDPAU binaries. Not sure about the MPlayer ones. I would think they would since it's the latest version.
                Last edited by rv65; 20 March 2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rv65 View Post
                  The driver includes the VDPAU binaries. Not sure about the MPlayer ones. I would think they would since it's the latest version.
                  Yeah, I noticed the VDPAU part of mplayer got installed. And I can find it under the Video tab in mplayer. It just doesn't seem to accelerate properly.

Comment

Did somebody notice

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.41/

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/180.41/

Comment

nvidia driver better?

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                      lol, NVIDIA doesn't talk and/or do promises. They work.
                      +10 to NVIDIA.
                      Well, I've got a nvidia card for testing and for me my ATi card with it's OSS drivers works better(*), even Compiz is faster. Only when it comes to 3D nvidia is faster.

(*): Sometimes X is getting completely white, the keyboard doesn't work anymore. Only a remote shutdown helps here. This happens with driver 180.29.

Ciao,
                      Olaf

Comment

Working...
                      X