No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my last message in this discussion because hating and cursing at companies is not my forte. That's just too simple and stupid and doesn't prove anything - it only shows how much of a zealot you are.

NVIDIA has literally tens of thousands of employees.

Saying "F you NVIDIA" shows how little you respect their work and effort. Lots of these employees don't even share the company policy/stance and want more openness. I believe less than a dozen of people in NVIDIA dictate their policy and all others comply because they just want to work and be paid for this. It does not make them "bad".

Oh, God, it's all so sad. A community of 1% believes saying "F you NVIDIA" makes them "good" and it will force NVIDIA to change. It's a mad world.
    Last edited by birdie; 06 March 2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      This is my last message in this discussion because hating and cursing at companies is not my forte. That's just too simple and stupid and doesn't prove anything - it only shows how much of a zealot you are.
      If anything, I say you have a lot more common sense and logic than the majority of people in the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

If anything, I say you have a lot more common sense and logic than the majority of people in the forums.
        Thank you, seriously.

Comment

Thank you, seriously.
          Don't mention it.

Probably the only thing I disagree with you on is Wayland; I see it as something essential to desktop Linux (too bad it's still not complete enough for a few use cases, especially desktop recording and remote screen sharing) while you believe it's the wrong approach.

Comment

Don't mention it.

Probably the only thing I disagree with you on is Wayland; I see it as something essential to desktop Linux (too bad it's still not complete enough for a few use cases, especially desktop recording and remote screen sharing) while you believe it's the wrong approach.
            I'm on the fence about Wayland but I've been recently recommended this piece and I couldn't agree with it more: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wayland-2021.html

Comment

I'm on the fence about Wayland but I've been recently recommended this piece and I couldn't agree with it more: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wayland-2021.html
              That author has forgotten something important, which is that all software and technology are produced by developers.

When even X's own developer pool have decided that they no longer have the capability or expertise to maintain the mess that is X without having to worry about breaking it for every new change or fix implemented, it's time to move on, regardless of how capable or usable it is.

As someone who has been bitten by the dreaded 'No screens found' error in Xserver during my early days of Linux and my recent attempts on FreeBSD where Xserver refuses to even start with the basic vesa driver after declaring it in xorg.conf, Xserver's death really cannot come sooner. When this happens, you can keep attempting to run Xorg -configure and mess around with the 'driver' and 'screen' values till the cows come home, and almost 90% of the time it will end with the same result: more 'No screens found' errors. How, then, can this be called 'getting out of the way' when it's already getting in the way of a working graphical desktop?

In this regard, Wayland is a real lifesaver. In my experience, if KMS works, then there's an extremely high chance that a Wayland compositor will work, even with GPU acceleration or without. For example, Gnome and Plasma Wayland always start up successfully in my system even though i'm using a GT610 or GT1030 on Nouveau drivers. Weston refuses to start up for some reason, but --use-pixman always never fails, and that is what I am using right now. That's really what I call 'getting out of the way': if KMS fails, then the Wayland compositor fails, and if it works, then the compositor is almost assured to start up in some form or another.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 06 March 2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

birdie

It's a great post and I think you'll agree with many other posts in Igor's blog.

That author has forgotten something important, which is that all software and technology are produced by developers.

When even X's own developer pool have decided that they no longer have the capability or expertise to maintain the mess that is X without having to worry about breaking it for every new change or fix implemented, it's time to move on, regardless of how capable or usable it is.
                Yes and yes, but the price of innovation should not be usability.

The fact is that here people jump on everything latest, but outside phoronix things move much slower.
                Despite what some users say here, the transition to Wayland is still in its infancy.
                When Ubuntu defaults to Wayland, we'll be in the midst of it, not at the end.

Comment

OK, let's go to one of the most recent news regarding AMD products, like this one: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-XT-Announced

Lets search for the first birdie post in that thread. Ah, here it is:

AMD surely loves its fans.

Loves to r@pe its fans.

So much for customers first.
                  Very logical, very serious, very non-fanboyish, very not wccftech commentish post LOL (like many others in many other threads). He posts so much nonsense, that practically he is a meme here.

Dude, you can blacklist me if you want - I couldn't care less. Just stop posting fanboy shit and other toxic stuff, please.

Comment

It surprises me that it appears Volta got banned for whatever reason, but birdie is not banned, why is that? Birdie keeps trolling people and insulting them constantly. I am sorry but i don't think Volta was more offensive than birdie. Just my opinion.

PS: It is hilarious that a person keeps telling people to buy W10 licenses in an open source forum...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      It surprises me that it appears Volta got banned for whatever reason, but birdie is not banned, why is that? Birdie keeps trolling people and insulting them constantly. I am sorry but i don't think Volta was more offensive than birdie. Just my opinion.

PS: It is hilarious that a person keeps telling people to buy W10 licenses in an open source forum...
                      Birdie was banned as well for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X