Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 460.56 Linux Driver Released With GeForce RTX 3060 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 460.56 Linux Driver Released With GeForce RTX 3060 Support

NVIDIA has updated their 460 series Linux driver to provide launch-day support for the GeForce RTX 3060...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward for the 470 release. It's supposed to finally support DMA-BUF support, making a lot of stuff possible that's currently limited to mesa drivers.

See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...87#note_799560

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
      I'm looking forward for the 470 release. It's supposed to finally support DMA-BUF support, making a lot of stuff possible that's currently limited to mesa drivers.

See https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...87#note_799560
      Almost made me look forward to that, too. Kde says I'm in no hurry, tho :P

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Almost made me look forward to that, too. Kde says I'm in no hurry, tho :P
        Assuming their DMA-BUF support also works for X11 then it would be helpful there aswell. For example for Firefox WebGL performance (once the EGL backend gets enabled, can currently be forced with `MOZ_X11_EGL=1`). Theoretically hardware video decoding should work with it as well.

Comment

No point having launch day driver support for the RTX 3060 when there are no goddamned cards to buy.

Even being artificially crippled for mining is not about to stop them bloody scalpers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            No point having launch day driver support for the RTX 3060 when there are no goddamned cards to buy.

Even being artificially crippled for mining is not about to stop them bloody scalpers.
            The odd fella that happens to get their hands on one, must have something to enable their cards.
            But lack of availability is not that bad, the perf/$ of this card seems to be bad enough you wouldn't buy one if you could get it at MSRP.

Comment

I'm completely disappointed with this card.

Barely faster and barely more power efficient than the RTX 2060 Super which is made using a much worse node.

Looks like I'm hard skipping the entire RTX 3000 generation and will wait for what comes next. The 1660 Ti that I own works just fine at 1080p.

Comment

The 3060 Ti (at MSRP) is a much better card.
                Last edited by birdie; 25 February 2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  I'm completely disappointed with this card.

Barely faster and barely more power efficient than the RTX 2060 Super which is made using a much worse node.

Looks like I'm hard skipping the entire RTX 3000 generation and will wait for what comes next. The 1660 Ti that I own works just fine at 1080p.
                  Honestly it is a bit wierd because all previous Ampere cards undervolted really well, but Turing didn't. Maybe that is why energy efficiency doesn't seem much better.

Also on windows side, 3060 with new driver supports resizable BAR, so probably it is comming to Linux soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The odd fella that happens to get their hands on one, must have something to enable their cards.
                    But lack of availability is not that bad, the perf/$ of this card seems to be bad enough you wouldn't buy one if you could get it at MSRP.
                    Dunno, can't Nvidia point them to development / debug drivers for the time being until a proper supply is maintained?

Let those early adopters beta test for Nvidia using development drivers and submit bug reports so that the proper driver release addresses most issues experienced.

Comment

Working...
                    X