Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Launching "CMP" Cards For Professional Mining, Limits RTX 3060 Mining Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    WRONG... you have to unterstand the working thread of Ethereum is 4GB in size. because of this the 128MB Infinity cache does not help to mine Ethereum because the 4GB working thread does not fit in.

this has nothing to do with cripple down performance. it is just the fact that the infinity cache is to small for that task.
    Thank you!!! I was going to ask why Ethereum was singled out. It would seem like clear-cut anticompetitive behavior except for a technical explanation (which is the best kind of explanation )

Comment

Originally posted by cmsigler View Post
      Thank you!!! I was going to ask why Ethereum was singled out. It would seem like clear-cut anticompetitive behavior except for a technical explanation (which is the best kind of explanation )
      yes i know i deliver best technical explanation to these forum for decades...

Nvidia is my my point of view a fraudulent company compared to this AMD does a perfect job with provide miners with CDNA Arcturus what is made only for miners in mind.

AMD even fixed the blockchain miners problem for Gaming cards with the infinity cache what works perfect with games and not so good for blockchain miners.

so all the problems what Nvidia customers have is not present with AMD at all.

and on linux AMD wins every game benchmark ... and works best with Wayland.

so for me it is a mystery how insane a person must be to buy Nvidia products for linux gaming.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

According to the Youtuber Moore's Law is Dead and his sources, AMD made some changes on the chip level with RDNA2 that makes these cards worse at mining. If that is true, that would be not any better. I guess there will be workarounds for Nvidia on the driver or vbios level sooner or later.
        But these changes make it better for gaming. RDNA isn't meant as a compute card, and AMD does plan a separate CDNA for compute and AI workloads.

Creating two seperate architectures aimed at different goals is one thing. Nerfing the driver is quite another.

Comment

I don't see how this is such a huge deal, they're announcing this before the release and it just seems like an attempt (though not a good one, but what else can they really do at this point of the shortage clusterfuck) to help people who just want to upgrade their GPU on their gaming rig. It's purely a PR move. I think it's too little too late and just silly at this point since they're still going to be impossible to get at a remotely reasonable price for a while regardless of mining capabilities. New GPU's being recently released, the pandemic hindering production and increasing demand, and new consoles being released is just destroying the supply and I don't think attempting to steer away miners is going to make any kind of impact that they're hoping for except maybe more goodwill from their gamer audience. Glad I built my rig last March

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Banks have lots of staff, servers, departments and whatnot which use far more money and energy than a crypto transactions. So I'm sorry but the idiot is you.
            moron, just compare transaction price of bank vs cryptoscam. they have staff because staff speaks with clients. cryptoscam doesn't speak with clients and it has orders of magnitude more servers which produce zero value except they boil oceans

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

They do not just waste energy. The process of mining is signing and legitimating transactions, getting a coin for it and the transaction fees is the payment for doing that.

Banks also have giant servers signing and processing the transactions of people over the normal IBAN system.
              Sorry but that is BS. Transactions per energy is orders of magnitudes worse for mining that for example visa. There is a ton of energy wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

But these changes make it better for gaming. RDNA isn't meant as a compute card, and AMD does plan a separate CDNA for compute and AI workloads.

Creating two seperate architectures aimed at different goals is one thing. Nerfing the driver is quite another.
                First, I am just the messanger, and that Youtuber didn't present much technical details on this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msmmdMrKPuY), nevertheless I wanted to mention it here. As I follow the news, I am aware of that split. But just because AMD's PR told us that such a split would be beneficial (to whom and why?), I don't buy it at face value. As a consumer, I don't care about architecture, but about price and performance (not just in gaming workloads). And there are compute workloads today where the Radeon VII still shines. By the way, RDNA is still not supported officially with ROCm which is a worrying sign to me that consumers will be left behind when it comes to their compute stack (at least on Linux).

I found the middle-ground strategy with Vega sound, as you get the best of both worlds in one product. Now if you also care about compute, you have to pay the price for a CDNA-based product.

Update: His newest video on this topic is interesting, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg__YdXbRtI

I have to agree that it is actually going to hurt gamers more in the end...
                Last edited by ms178; 18 February 2021, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

...Nvidia is my my point of view a fraudulent company compared to this AMD does a perfect job with provide miners with CDNA Arcturus what is made only for miners in mind...
                  Yes, it's great AMD has been able to optimize its products for different use cases in hardware using completely technical merits but that does not mean Nvidia's practice of using software to do the same is fraudulent. After all, the miners were told ahead of thr products release. Mining is an investment; so hopefully those miners will pay attention to what they are investing into.

However, this is not an ideal situation due to artificially limiting a product ("pulling an Intel"). While that is wrong, I still see this as the lesser of evils. Miners and gamers are being scalped alike. While these crypto cards are cool enough on their own, the software limitations can help stabilize the market by lowering the demand on future GeForce products. This is simply a case of being pragmatic over idealistic.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Haha you're funnier than my dog
                  I disagree, your dog is a riot.
                  Last edited by CTown; 18 February 2021, 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

So the cards I actually want to buy will still be as rare as hen's teeth, and massively inflated prices when they are available. The pre-Christmas price hike in the RTX 3000 cards appears to have finally hit Japan in style - an RTX 3080 went from ~95,000JPY (two in stock) to ~130,000 (not in stock) or ~170,000 (one in stock).

...I should have just bought one in December. Oh well, eagle-eyed hindsight, and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Go watch Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. The capitalist world economy is built on a premise of infinite production increase only this planet has very limited resources. In fact lots of recent wars at Middle East can be attributed to global warming, overpopulation and a lack of ... water, i.e. we've already consumed more than this planet is able to give. Miners and mining are the least of Earth's problems at the moment.

Here's what we should strive to achieve:
                      • Educate as many people as possible, incentivize them to have fewer children or no children at all, reduce the clout of religion as much as possible
                      • From an early age teach people to be frugal, consume as little resources as possible and reuse as much as possible
                      • Improve healthcare in underdeveloped countries (including India) because it's the primary reason they are breeding like rats
                      • Eliminate/replace/reduce the use of plastic
                      • Start a war on the consumerist culture
                      You're forgetting one thing, worse than religions. The division of the world into countries, nations, or whatever else people come up with. Most "nationalities" are often responsible for more suffering and destruction than all religions combined. Heck I don't even think that family should be the main building block of the society, simply because it is too fragile and irrational.

Comment

Working...
                      X