Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Launching "CMP" Cards For Professional Mining, Limits RTX 3060 Mining Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Launching "CMP" Cards For Professional Mining, Limits RTX 3060 Mining Potential

Phoronix: NVIDIA Launching "CMP" Cards For Professional Mining, Limits RTX 3060 Mining Potential

NVIDIA is launching the CMP - the Cryptocurrency Mining Processor -- that will be a line of hardware focused on professional mining with an emphasis on Ethereum...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(RTX 3060)..This will be an artificial 50% performance limitation if mining is detected
    I'm glad I dumped Nvidia for AMD last year. AMD doesn't do this kind of shit, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      NVIDIA also announced they will be limiting the mining hash rate with their forthcoming GeForce RTX 3060. With the GeForce RTX 3060 launching next week, they will have their drivers artificially limit the performance when Ethereum cryptocurrency mining is detected. This will be an artificial 50% performance limitation if mining is detected.
      Lolwut.

This shit should be illegal.

Comment

It's all getting silly this mining malarkey, wasting far too much valuable electricity.

Comment

Well, I'm using my GPU for mining during winter regardless of crypto prices to heat up the room. I would be very disappointed buying something like current RTX 2080Ti and not being able to use it for whatever I want with full potential.

Comment

This cryptocurrency mining is stupid, huge amounts of energy are wasted on mining cryptocurrency. The people who can afford expensive hardware are the rich, so the rich just gets richer while using up energy and polluting the planet.

Mining new coins is to deal with inflation?
            Inflation happens why, because less money is in circulation because huge deposits of money sits idle?
            Perhaps the protocol should recirculate old money by having an expiration date on money so that the money must be spent and recirculated back to the economy, else it it gets invalidated and re-issued, or automatically withdrawn from its owner and recirculated.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
              Well, I'm using my GPU for mining during winter regardless of crypto prices to heat up the room. I would be very disappointed buying something like current RTX 2080Ti and not being able to use it for whatever I want with full potential.
              I think that's why they limited to this RTX 3060 (and presumably future GeForce GPUs) rather than current models.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not a Nvidia fan, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so everything they can do to f**k with miners have my unconditional support. In the end though, this artificial driver limitation and a new line of dedicated cards is useless.

First, they are trying to hold back people known to modify firmware in cards for better performance. Good luck thinking a couple lines in a driver will be effective.

Second, miners like gamer-grade cards because they can sell them for good money (despite being trashed cards) after they are not profitable anymore. Something not realistic with dedicated, unprofitable, used mining cards.

Comment

A driver patch will probably workaround this limitation in no time...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Mining new coins is to deal with inflation?
                    They do not just waste energy. The process of mining is signing and legitimating transactions, getting a coin for it and the transaction fees is the payment for doing that.

Banks also have giant servers signing and processing the transactions of people over the normal IBAN system.

Comment

Working...
                    X