Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Launching "CMP" Cards For Professional Mining, Limits RTX 3060 Mining Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    because they can sell them for good money (despite being trashed cards)
    Ex mining cards are not that bad, they were usually installed, turned on and then ran at that load and that one temperature until their Watt per Hash became too bad. Cards used for gaming are usually less reliable as they were heated and cooled down again hundreds of times what is usually responsible for cracks in the solder balls.

The issue is that ex miner cards should be cheap, but they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      I'm glad I dumped Nvidia for AMD last year. AMD doesn't do this kind of shit, does it?
      According to the Youtuber Moore's Law is Dead and his sources, AMD made some changes on the chip level with RDNA2 that makes these cards worse at mining. If that is true, that would be not any better. I guess there will be workarounds for Nvidia on the driver or vbios level sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        This cryptocurrency mining is stupid, huge amounts of energy are wasted on mining cryptocurrency. The people who can afford expensive hardware are the rich, so the rich just gets richer while using up energy and polluting the planet.

Mining new coins is to deal with inflation?
        Inflation happens why, because less money is in circulation because huge deposits of money sits idle?
        Perhaps the protocol should recirculate old money by having an expiration date on money so that the money must be spent and recirculated back to the economy, else it it gets invalidated and re-issued, or automatically withdrawn from its owner and recirculated.
        Go watch Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. The capitalist world economy is built on a premise of infinite production increase only this planet has very limited resources. In fact lots of recent wars at Middle East can be attributed to global warming, overpopulation and a lack of ... water, i.e. we've already consumed more than this planet is able to give. Miners and mining are the least of Earth's problems at the moment.

Here's what we should strive to achieve:
        • Educate as many people as possible, incentivize them to have fewer children or no children at all, reduce the clout of religion as much as possible
        • From an early age teach people to be frugal, consume as little resources as possible and reuse as much as possible
        • Improve healthcare in underdeveloped countries (including India) because it's the primary reason they are breeding like rats
        • Eliminate/replace/reduce the use of plastic
        • Start a war on the consumerist culture
        Last edited by birdie; 18 February 2021, 02:05 PM. Reason: Zeitgeist -> Zeitgeist: Moving Forward (the first film was a load of hoaxes and conspiracy theories)

Comment

This cryptocurrency mining is stupid, huge amounts of energy are wasted on mining cryptocurrency. The people who can afford expensive hardware are the rich, so the rich just gets richer while using up energy and polluting the planet.

Inflation happens why, because less money is in circulation because huge deposits of money sits idle?
          Perhaps the protocol should recirculate old money by having an expiration date on money so that the money must be spent and recirculated back to the economy, else it it gets invalidated and re-issued, or automatically withdrawn from its owner and recirculated.
          Last few things I have heard repeated is that pumping more money into the economy drives up inflation. I never personally liked the whole idea of the cyptocurrency stuff. Why? I feel its part of the new voodoo economics system that doesn't have your wellbeing in mind. I think its just another set of digital manacles people are slurpping up and embracing.

Just a belief in a digital savior that is never going to come, but when the appearence of it comes, only more control is going to be exerted over everyone. I don't think there is anything good about it.

People can call me stupid and think that I am ill informed. I don't feel that I am, I feel I am 100% spot on. It's part of new voodoo economics and I doubt your best interest is at heart.

Just my two cents.
          Last edited by creative; 18 February 2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Looks like good news for Nvidia support. Those miners eill happily reverse engineer the driver to remove that limitation. And hopefully that leaks out and we get better noveau support.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

According to the Youtuber Moore's Law is Dead and his sources, AMD made some changes on the chip level with RDNA2 that makes these cards worse at mining. If that is true, that would be not any better. I guess there will be workarounds for Nvidia on the driver or vbios level sooner or later.
              A workaround for NVIDIA will be impossible for absolute most people because:
              • NVIDIA requires signed firmware, so VBIOS editing has been unavailable for many years now (AMD does the same to be honest)
              • Most modern PCs have secure UEFI boot mode on which means you cannot modify drivers as well
              Linux NVIDIA users normally have secure boot disabled, so it could be a non-issue for them.

Comment

You've got it backwards. Inflation (devaluing) happens when the supply is *increased*.

If the supply is decreased, the value goes up, that's called "deflation".

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  You've got it backwards. Inflation (devaluing) happens when the supply is *increased*.

If the supply is decreased, the value goes up, that's called "deflation".
                  Afaik in layman's terms inflation is when the amount of money increases relative to real products.
                  But in the case of crypto currencies it could be a different story.

Comment

I don't get it. It this only aimed at 3060, while all the others are still fair game?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      I don't get it. It this only aimed at 3060, while all the others are still fair game?
                      The limitation is coded into the new drivers that bring support for the 3060. Other cards are already supported by existing drivers.
                      All the miners would have to do to get around this for other cards is to not update the GPU drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X