Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b8e5n
    replied
    At last, nvidia.will support wayland... By then I will have switche back to the red team. Hopefully by that time the vrr situation with hdmi will have been resolved. Then the last bit will be hdr!

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    How are things like fan controls and overclocking/undervolting Wayland specific exactly? I wouldn't think VAAPI would be either?
    It is in Nvidia world, where options like "coolbits" are Xorg output centric. Afaik nvidia-smi also works "headless", but it doesn't offer everything.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What restrictions would those be?
    Their previous attempted approach was criticised for violating the GPL.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    I wonder how they will get past the DMA buf restrictions
    What restrictions would those be?

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Things Nvidia is still partially or even entirely missing on Wayland (apart from GBM):
    -custom EDID support
    -VRR
    -manual fan controls
    -overclocking/undervolting
    -color/gamma adjustment
    -VAAPI in Firefox

-> Might be usable in ten years or so.
    How are things like fan controls and overclocking/undervolting Wayland specific exactly? I wouldn't think VAAPI would be either?

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Btw: Nvidia Vulkan driver does not support mailbox vsync mode, which basically is a requirement for proper presentation on Wayland with uncapped frame rate.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Windows HAVE to mantain compatibility, Linux don't.
    If drivers are mainlined in the Linux tree, ABI change are not a problem and kernel devs have no interest on mantain ABI compatibility for out of tree drivers (nvidia).
    If nvidia have no interest in mainlining his driver, then they will have to deal with the problem, their choice.
    I would not say windows is "far ahead", quite the opposite!

My point is that Windows having to maintain backwards compatibility makes it harder for Windows and yet they have done a better job

Leave a comment:

• prodrigestivill
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Things Nvidia is still partially or even entirely missing on Wayland (apart from GBM)
    For the pull request code it looks that they are only implementing DMA-BUF over EGLStreams.
    So the GBM vs EGLStreams are still in the Wayland mess.

Leave a comment:

• Cotyso
    replied
    Nice! It would be awesome if Fedora 34 would switch to wayland by default on nvidia proprietary drivers, assuming that these changes land in stable soon.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    amdgpu kernel driver supports all kind of stuff like HDCP, HDR etc. It's not Linux as a whole that lags behind, it's mainly userspace. And Nvidia is one reason of this problem, not a solution.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Microsoft's WDDM is far ahead of anything that Linux has ever offered, the fact that they were able to continuously add new features without breaking ABI's with drivers is a testament to that
    Windows HAVE to mantain compatibility, Linux don't.
    If drivers are mainlined in the Linux tree, ABI change are not a problem and kernel devs have no interest on mantain ABI compatibility for out of tree drivers (nvidia).
    If nvidia have no interest in mainlining his driver, then they will have to deal with the problem, their choice.
    I would not say windows is "far ahead", quite the opposite!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X