No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Prepares XWayland OpenGL/Vulkan Acceleration Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGLStreams is still unfit for Wayland, and that is something that will not change. It is a dead end. The only reason any desktop supports it is because nvidia contributed the patches that enabled it to work with EGLStreams.

Nvidia was invited to the talks that lead to GBM, but did not show up. Only after the party, they announced to not support GBM due to "reasons" they never properly clarified and were dismissed long ago. I personally believe that they pushed EGLStreams as they already had it implemented for Android on Tegra chips, but what to do now. Give up that stand and be laughed again by everyone or continue to push a dead end everyone knows to not work.

Comment

I am not nvidia user or plan to be, but that would help with adoption and exposure of Wayland a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        EGLStreams is still unfit for Wayland
        Why is it unfit if it already works?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because it forces to maintain a separate code path specific to NVidia driver. So your're right, somewhat: it's not unfit for Wayland itself, but it is for open source developers at large.

Comment

The reality is the current versions of Eglstreams does not work. The Nvidia developer working on KDE was forced to admit this. Like simple things like restarting the Wayland compositor without stopping all applications the current Eglstreams is not designed to support this. This is resulting in Nvidia finally having to implement DMA BUF and accept that buffers have to be tracked on a per application base not system wide.

Of course I do suspect people with old Nvidia cards are going to be screwed over and not get proper working Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              The reality is the current versions of Eglstreams does not work. The Nvidia developer working on KDE was forced to admit this. Like simple things like restarting the Wayland compositor without stopping all applications the current Eglstreams is not designed to support this. This is resulting in Nvidia finally having to implement DMA BUF and accept that buffers have to be tracked on a per application base not system wide.
              That, I didn't know. But are they using DMABUF to replace EGLStreams or to work alongside?

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
              Of course I do suspect people with old Nvidia cards are going to be screwed over and not get proper working Wayland support.
              The current driver supports everything since GeForce 600 series, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Comment

That, I didn't know. But are they using DMABUF to replace EGLStreams or to work alongside?
                DMA BUF will see sections of EGLStreams totally deprecated. Xwayland we see that Nvidia developers are wanting to keep special unique crap for eglstreams alive and the non Nvidia Xwayland developers are going please implement generic so we have 1 section of code here repeatedly.

So its a on going cat fight. So how good or how bad this turns out we will have to wait to see the drivers from Nvidia. This could still be a on going process of pulling teeth with Nvidia to get to something functional.

Comment

Working...
                X