NVIDIA Doesn't Expect To Have Linux 5.9 Driver Support For Another Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    That's actually a rather sad issue and not a funny one. Open and closed source should always work together, only this is what true freedom is. It's when they fight each other that everyone loses. People nowadays understand this better, but we still carry around the GPL with its almost militant stance against closed source, which keeps getting in the way.
    You have a completely insane and dumb view of FOSS.

OSS only needs to care for its self, period. That includes making violators pay for their abuses.

There's a reason Linux grew so huge and BSD barely lives. Nobody likes being abused by closed source bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      That's actually a rather sad issue and not a funny one. Open and closed source should always work together, only this is what true freedom is. It's when they fight each other that everyone loses. People nowadays understand this better, but we still carry around the GPL with its almost militant stance against closed source, which keeps getting in the way.
      No, they shouldn't. Proprietary leeches should be punished.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Its most likely feasibly impossible for NVidia to release their driver as open source due to IP reasons, their binary blob contains IP (i.e. from SG days) and due to 30+ years of work its probably spread throughout their codebase due to how software development works. Then there are other obvious things like trade secrets.

Linux people need to understand that asking companies to do things which are not going to happen for rational reasons is not going to improve the situation, instead they should accept the situation and work with it as much as they can.
        Couldn't they just do what AMD did with AMDGPU? One kernel driver, then do whatever they want with the userspace.

Of course, if there's a good upstream kernel driver, Nouveau would become good like RadeonSI, then Nvidia couldn't force VM-based cloud deployments to use Quadro, thus hurting their bottom line.

That being said, the fact that the Nvidia driver was illegally using GPL-only exports in their proprietary driver, means there might finally be legal leverage to force Nvidia to actually open the kernel driver, whether they like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          I don't expect to have NVIDIA hardware for another decade or two (or five).
          Your opinion is very valuable. Keep on posting. So many crown wearers on Phoronix it's cringeworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
            While they honestly provide usually timely updates for their drivers, this delay happening even once is pretty bad. I switched off them long ago (1070 to 580) as it was tiring waiting 1 week or so for new kernel updates. Waiting 4 weeks would kill me, just because I like the latest and greatest.

And it was just annoying having to manually DKMS after each update as it never triggered the DKMS its self unless you reinstalled? It was just over all pretty bad, but that is understandable as they are the only ones who should support their crappy software.
            This delay is far from the first one. When did you start using Linux? A year ago? I've been using it for more than two decades - a sitation like this has occured a dozen times already. Michael hasn't paid attention earlier and now it's all the rage: "NVIDIA sucks, NVIDIA breaks the rules (GPL), NVIDIA is bad". It's laughable, how many no ones are here in this discussion telling a multi billion corporation how to deal with an OS most people (over 99.9%) have never heard about.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This delay is far from the first one. When did you start using Linux? A year ago? I've been using it for more than two decades - a sitation like this has occured a dozen times already. Michael hasn't paid attention earlier and now it's all the rage: "NVIDIA sucks, NVIDIA breaks the rules (GPL), NVIDIA is bad". It's laughable, how many no ones are here in this discussion telling a multi billion corporation how to deal with an OS most people (over 99.9%) have never heard about.
              Over a decade. I'm not a casual user.

I only had issues with my 1070 as my 970 wasn't on rolling distros, as I moved to those only within the last 4 years. So I never had issues until running code with much more churn and such. But while using my 1070 on Arch was the only time I had major issues. My 970 was on the nvidia blob and ubuntu rolled kernels which was never as up to date, never causing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Does NVIDIA force anyone to buy their GPUs for fuck's sake? Their drivers have always been proprietary in case you haven't noticed. Does NVIDIA develop operating systems which limit your freedom? Damn, Open Source fanaticism really messes with people's heads. They cannot even think rationally any longer.
                Same old tired trolling.

Does anyone force you to use Linux? You have freedom to go and use proprietary shit, so why not do it and leave us alone?

Linux' wealth of hardware support is one of its superpowers. Having open source drivers means that you can use devices on platforms other than what the HW vendor originally intended. Not to mention security and other benefits. It's an utterly logical and conventional position that we want opensource drivers. Nvidia's position is really the exception, here.

Raging against open source is really messing with your head. You cannot even think rationally, any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
                  In my opinion also Nvidia should follow the "linux path". I hope they understand the reason(s).
                  Or at least the AMD path.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

You have a completely insane and dumb view of FOSS.

OSS only needs to care for its self, period. That includes making violators pay for their abuses.

There's a reason Linux grew so huge and BSD barely lives. Nobody likes being abused by closed source bullshit.
                    Another utterly asinine comment full of hatred, bigotry and fanaticism. As a next step of the Linux kernel development you should absolutely suggest removing all kernel APIa! Make them all private for fuck's sake! Let VMWare and VirtualBox suffer! Oh and multiple other open source drivers which haven't yet been included. You say everything must be mainlined? Really? Will you personally maintain all this shit? Will you fix it, so that kernel developers accepted it? Are you ready to pay for all of that?

God, so many imbecilic comments in just one discussion, is this a department of some loony bin?

Comment

Just a simple question - why novidia was waiting for a kernel release to announce missing support? What prevented them to use RC to test their blob and if failed - announce that there may be some problems?

Comment

Working...
                      X