NVIDIA Doesn't Expect To Have Linux 5.9 Driver Support For Another Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abott View Post
    You have to treat cancerous ideas like proprietary software like that or they spread their piss everywhere and rob you hard earned money for what you could do for significantly less. I mean, what paid software used daily hasn't been replaced by a much better alternative? Basically, nothing.

How much code do you have in the kernel? I have slightly above 0. If you have 0, work your fat fingers more than your far mouth before you criticize what is made for you on behalf of others. Not only that, I've contributed to user space stuff I use that had issues/needed maintenance, also.
    Cancerous ideas keep the world running, you know. You cannot image how many products and services have been designed and created using closed source. Vastly more than what Linux and Open Source have produced.

Also, Linux is in a position to dictate the rules of the game, that's why they do. In fact, they're so powerful, they're more akin to gods. They don't answer to you, me, or corporations, governments, or anyone who doesn't can't back their license. They invulnerable to anything, even time. As they can die, but the code still lives on.
    You may wanna consult with a psychiatrist 'cause you seemingly have a superiority complex and you also believe that all code be must be open source 'cause hardware lives forever. Oh, wait, in 50 years from barely anything will remain functional. No one will give a fuck if Open Source drivers for 30 years old GPUs exist or not.

Your simping for proprietary shit is retarded considering the forum you're on. I'll never reply to your dumb posts ever again, not worth the time to entertain your dumb posts.
    You're putting the words in my mouth which I've never said or implied. Looks you're out of rational arguments so you've resorted to insults and badmouthing.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Your opinion is very valuable. Keep on posting. So many crown wearers on Phoronix it's cringeworthy.
      I have no crown to wear, just commenting on NVIDIA by saying that I have no intention to buy any of their GPUs in the near, medium or distant future. My past experience with them was more than terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I have no crown to wear, just commenting on NVIDIA by saying that I have no intention to buy any of their GPUs in the near, medium or distant future. My past experience with them was more than terrible.
        My five months experience with open source drivers for RX 5600 XT has been even more terrible. Meanwhile I cannot recall any serious issues with shitty proprietary NVIDIA drivers for the past two decades now.

Comment

absolute most Linux/Open Source fans here are self-entitled assholes who absolutely love to demand and at the same time they do absolutely nothing for Open Source. Me, on the other hand? I've been helping various Open Source projects for over two decades now. I've helped resolve multiple critical bugs in the Linux kernel and multiple other Open Source projects. I've been using Linux longer than some of the commentators here have lived.

So, please, kindly fuck off.
          You're far from the only one here to have contributed to open source, however you do appear to be in the minority that believes it entitles them to be an asshole.

I'm sure the world would keep spinning just fine without your contributions, and their loss might not be too high a price to pay for you to take that attitude and leave us in peace.

Comment

Does NVIDIA force anyone to buy their GPUs for fuck's sake?
            Yes, if you are talking about laptops (especially performance laptops).

Yes, if you are talking about CUDA.

Comment

Your train of thought is really messed up. Linux is not in a position to dictate the rules of the game unless you want the OS to be reserved for geeks and IT elite. Is this what you want? Really? Most commenters here really love a semi-broken OS but "IT IS OPEN SOURCE I'M SO HAPPY".
              That the wrong problem.

Security benefits? Which ones? I don't remember NVIDIA drivers having been used for a single successful exploitation attempt.
              https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...ploit-advisory.

Nvidia have published many security bulletins on the Linux/unix drivers. Lot of these like the above one were in fact used in zero days. Gets worse when you know that most of the ones used in zero days if the code had be submitted mainline would have been detected by Linux kernel sparse or one of the automated patch auditing bots.

Have you written a single serious application in your life? No? Drivers for GPUs are currently the most complicated piece of software in the software world. Have you ever heard of QA/QC? No? Well, NVIDIA has it and they cannot release something fast which might or might not work. Do you know how much effort is required to work around the newfound kernel limitations?
              Yes gpu drivers are highly complicated piece of work. You get a point wrong that Nvidia cannot release something that might or might not work. The reality is Nvidia regularly releases drivers for Linux that don't work properly. Worse with fault that would be detected if the code was in fact mainline. Yes I have head of QA/QC the more reviewers you can get to your code base the better. The Linux kernel mainline with the automated bots and tools is a pool of reviewers outside organisation who will test things in different ways

novidia? How many GPUs have you helped design in your short worthless life? Zero? I thought so.
              I do small work in blender and some cads I have also given up on Nvidia under Linux because the reality is its not reliable enough. Using amd card makes doing my job slower but its reliable this does come from the fact it using a mainline kernel driver.. Other thing is open source drivers feature update lot longer than closed source drivers do so I am able to get a longer productive live out cards in render offloading with AMD over Nvida.

The horrible part that is also overlooked is the open source nvidia drivers in mesa and the kernel that people attempt to use on desktop cards are partly written by Nvidia so they have open source drivers for their gpu in arm chips. So its really Nvidia being a jackass to themselves here by not releasing the signed firmware so that open source nvidia drivers can work properly on desktop cards to enable broader and more complete testing of their open source driver code base. Yes their open source driver code base its Nvidia made code in the Linux kernel that is not getting as tested as it could be by Nvidia not providing these bits.

Nvidia is shooting QC/QA in foot all over the place.

Finally the GPL condom in 5.9 kernel if Nvidia is having trouble with it this is a big problem as it makes their driver illegal in china and other countries with equal interpenetration of contract law. China ruling on the matter is very clear. This is technically a big problem if Nvidia does not get it fixed as this kind of fault can prevent Nvidia from using any production FAB in china until they do fix it or cease production of the infringing bit of software. Birdie this should make it clear why you should want a open source mainline Nvidia driver that works. At least if something legal like this happens your means to buy new cards stays possible if properly functional open source driver exists since Nvidia could just pull the closed source driver until it fixed.

Comment

Your train of thought is really messed up. Linux is not in a position to dictate the rules of the game unless you want the OS to be reserved for geeks and IT elite. Is this what you want? Really? Most commenters here really love a semi-broken OS but "IT IS OPEN SOURCE I'M SO HAPPY".
                As you and nvidia morons can see Linux is in position to enforce whatever it wants and nvidia (and imbeciles) must follow. We currently have semi broken nvidia proprietary crap and fully broken winblows 10 unusable shit.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  I don't think they were waiting, they just didn't finish the required work in time. If they were just starting on changing the code, they wouldn't have a due date already.

The conterargument being it's not that free if it places a(ny) burden on you the minute you start using it.
                  I don't think you should include free software in proprietary code, but you should be able to layer proprietary stuff on top of free software. (Just my point of view, let's not try to establish here where the line should be drawn )

I don't believe contamination was what was happening here, the driver wasn't in the kernel (how could it?), it just used a kernel module.

What escapes me (and I'm sure there's a good reason for this, I just don't know it), is why is the kernel basically exposing two interfaces to the outside world, one for GPL code and one for everybody else? I don't recall seeing this mo anywhere else.
                  So why does this problem only affect Nvidia? If it were as you say, it should be about any proprietary driver or module, but it isn't! There is no problem with AMD GPU-PRO driver at least that I know of or with wifi driver etc.
                  Only Nvidia ?
                  Last edited by Charlie68; 17 October 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sorry but it is not 0. He has contributed to the kernel, and even reported on some major problems. Heck, he even got an article on Phoronix.
                    Come on, he is being honest. Linux is not ready for the desktop, and we have to agree.
                    He's a moron and his contribution is nearly none. He just copied some bug report at lkml. That's all. Linux is much better on desktop than windows ever was. And no, we don't have to agree. You're using semi broken KDE with nvidia proprietary crap, so your experience is far from optimal.
                    Last edited by Volta; 17 October 2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

My five months experience with open source drivers for RX 5600 XT has been even more terrible. Meanwhile I cannot recall any serious issues with shitty proprietary NVIDIA drivers for the past two decades now.
                      You know that both can be true, don't you. It's obviously all about what you do. If you mainly play games, their compatibility with NVIDIA is most often better, that's for sure. If, on the other hand, you have a laptop or you run Wayland, then using NVIDIA is like voluntarily getting extra heavy balls and chains to run a sprint race. Across a minefield.

Comment

Working...
                      X