Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Doesn't Expect To Have Linux 5.9 Driver Support For Another Month

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    the result on relying on closed and GPL violating vendor blobs ;-)
    That's actually a rather sad issue and not a funny one. Open and closed source should always work together, only this is what true freedom is. It's when they fight each other that everyone loses. People nowadays understand this better, but we still carry around the GPL with its almost militant stance against closed source, which keeps getting in the way.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
      The cuda binaries are frag. The regular user dkms compiles fine. And virtualbox is also toast on 5.9 in case you are into that.
      Someone claims to have a working patch for Cuda on 5.9. On Discord he said he will release the code for it shortly.

      https://github.com/Frogging-Family/nvidia-all/issues/11

      There is a patch for Virtual Box to work under 5.9

      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ar...rnel-5.9.patch
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 17 October 2020, 04:35 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by frank007
        In my opinion also Nvidia should follow the "linux path". I hope they understand the reason(s).
        Linux "path" is not much different than Apple App Store walled garden.

        Here and there artificial limitations imposed either by fanatics or maximum profit driven individuals.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by frank007
          In my opinion also Nvidia should follow the "linux path". I hope they understand the reason(s).
          Its most likely feasibly impossible for NVidia to release their driver as open source due to IP reasons, their binary blob contains IP (i.e. from SG days) and due to 30+ years of work its probably spread throughout their codebase due to how software development works. Then there are other obvious things like trade secrets.

          Linux people need to understand that asking companies to do things which are not going to happen for rational reasons is not going to improve the situation, instead they should accept the situation and work with it as much as they can.
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 17 October 2020, 04:56 PM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by birdie View Post

            Linux "path" is not much different than Apple App Store walled garden.

            Here and there artificial limitations imposed either by fanatics or maximum profit driven individuals.
            Same as the Nvidia "path". Artificial limitations imposed to what I can do with their blob.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

              Its most likely feasibly impossible for NVidia to release their driver as open source due to IP reasons, their binary blob contains IP (i.e. from SG days) and due to 30+ years of work its probably spread throughout their codebase due to how software development works. Then there are other obvious things like trade secrets.

              Linux people need to understand that asking companies to do things which are not going to happen for rational reasons is not going to improve the situation, instead they should accept the situation and work with it as much as they can.
              That is all understandable.
              They can at least give the nouveau people some assistance to get re-clocking working on latest cards.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Shiba View Post

                Same as the Nvidia "path". Artificial limitations imposed to what I can do with their blob.
                This statement is so asinine I've just got no words. Does NVIDIA force anyone to buy their GPUs for fuck's sake? Their drivers have always been proprietary in case you haven't noticed. Does NVIDIA develop operating systems which limit your freedom? Damn, Open Source fanaticism really messes with people's heads. They cannot even think rationally any longer.
                Last edited by birdie; 17 October 2020, 05:17 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

                  That is all understandable.
                  They can at least give the nouveau people some assistance to get re-clocking working on latest cards.
                  Agreed, but I am not sure there is a good technical solution for this. NVidia started signing their cards because of the crypto boom (fake chinese cards were being released with modified firmware) so I can see why they are a bit hesitant to do this (otherwise they would have already done it).

                  Its a shit situation though, they should definitely help nouveau as much as possible.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    I don't expect to have NVIDIA hardware for another decade or two (or five).

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      While they honestly provide usually timely updates for their drivers, this delay happening even once is pretty bad. I switched off them long ago (1070 to 580) as it was tiring waiting 1 week or so for new kernel updates. Waiting 4 weeks would kill me, just because I like the latest and greatest.

                      And it was just annoying having to manually DKMS after each update as it never triggered the DKMS its self unless you reinstalled? It was just over all pretty bad, but that is understandable as they are the only ones who should support their crappy software.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X