NVIDIA Doesn't Expect To Have Linux 5.9 Driver Support For Another Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abott View Post

Did you even use Windows before? I have a vast number of more devices that are fucked on Windows than on Linux. In fact, outside of seriously niche parallel port garbage, I have ONLY devices that are fucked on Windows. Linux literally works on every single thing I've ever tried, which was some exotic and shitty Chinese shit. Most of which didn't even have a whisper of functionality on Windows.
    I have been using Windows with Linux for 20 years and generally hardware support was better on Windows. The only area where Linux surpasses Windows is modern Linux distros supporting ancient hardware.

This is unsurprising considering that companies for hardware primarily supported Windows and Linux had to manually figure out things for themselves.

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Too bad you're more stupid than you look. How many of the major operating systems from those 'non-militant' licenses are competitive? NONE. GPL is the best thing that happened in software. While you're not realizing the fact it's proprietary trash companies trying to dictate others what they can or not it makes you number 2 imbecile in this forum. What a pathetic trash with a mentality of thief. Times will be better when morons like you will die.
    The only thing thats trash here is the content of your posts. Please post this crap elsewhere, directly insulting people is incredibly immature.
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 18 October 2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjcox View Post
      sdack I sense your frustration.
      No, you just sense your own. I'm shaking my head at all your crap talk here.

Take this Volta idiot. He writes I'm more stupid than "I look" as if he could see people's faces. He's a dumb parrot who copies phrases and doesn't even get their context. With people as dumb as him is there no point talking. They're just good for laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        I bought a cheap Nvidia card some years ago, a GT 710, because I just needed something to run a Windows 10 VM I use for music software that doesn't have a Linux equivalent.

And to make a long story short, I was shocked when it didn't work because Nvidia is such a lowlife corporation that they attempt to make even home users buy an expensive card, and pay a licensing fee, simply to run a personal VM.

I spent quite a bit of time figuring out a work around, but then was shocked again as Nvidia continually worked to assure that home users couldn't use their cards on a VM.

So I just put the ridiculous GT 710 in a drawer and spent a little more for a low end AMD card that worked beautifully, and didn't attempt to financially rape me every time I booted my VM.
        Can we just replace this comment with "I hate NVIDIA for trying to earn money"? And, no, 99.9% of users out there don't use virtualization in any shape or form - you're not a home user. I'm glad AMD still allows to use their GPUs in a virtual environment however for some reasons most supercomputers of the world with GPUs are based on NVIDIA. AMD fans and open source fans have something in common: they love to get stuff for free/very cheaply. I just don't understand how companies are expected to survive in this case.

And the ridiculous GT 710 cost you what, $50? Maybe even $80? And you're so full of crap because of that? You couldn't even sell it? Use in another PC? NVIDIA really robbed you off? And after that you're calling them, "a lowlife corporation"? Did they even promise you this GPU could be used in such a sitation? You couldn't Google in advance before purchasing it? Ask in forums?

Are you OK? Why are you and open source fans so full of hatred, bigotry and disdain? Maybe I know the answer: it's so easy to hate and leave salty comments, than to do something valuable. Most comments in this thread are: "NVIDIA is bad, I hate NVIDIA, NVIDIA are scammers and parasites", they are painful and disgusting to read as if the company has killed all the members of your family, taken your job, all your money and possesions.

Inclusivity has been all the rage recently, however belligerent Open Source fans do everything to exclude as many people and companies from Open Source as possible. That's just sad.
        Last edited by birdie; 18 October 2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post

Are you OK? Why are you and open source fans so full of hatred, bigotry and disdain? Maybe I know the answer: it's so easy to hate and leave salty comments, than to do something valuable. Most comments in this thread are: "NVIDIA is bad, I hate NVIDIA, NVIDIA are scammers and parasites", they are painful and disgusting to read as if the company has killed all the members of your family, taken your job, all your money and possesions.

Inclusivity has been all the rage recently, however belligerent Open Source fans do everything to exclude as many people and companies from Open Source as possible. That's just sad.
          The king of idiots and hypocrites have spoken. Hates Linux, GPL, Open Source, have problems whith developers who decided to use GPL to protect their work and see nothing bad in nvidia or other crap companies doing worse - unlike GPL licensed software nvidia is exclusive to everyone. However, the king of morons repeats same bullshit all the time.
          Last edited by Volta; 18 October 2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I have been using Windows with Linux for 20 years and generally hardware support was better on Windows. The only area where Linux surpasses Windows is modern Linux distros supporting ancient hardware.
            Too bad you didn't have logitech wireless gamepad. It was nearly impossible to make it work in crap like WIndows 7. It works out of the box in Linux.

The only thing thats trash here is the content of your posts. Please post this crap elsewhere, directly insulting people is incredibly immature.
            Tell this to those two freaks blind man.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
              No, you just sense your own. I'm shaking my head at all your crap talk here.

Take this Volta idiot. He writes I'm more stupid than "I look" as if he could see people's faces. He's a dumb parrot who copies phrases and doesn't even get their context. With people as dumb as him is there no point talking. They're just good for laughing.
              What's funny there's neither sense nor logic in your bullshit. If I saw your stupid face I would probably vomit. I'll be laughing when nvidia will be forced to go AMD's way. I hope you won't hide in some cave after this.
              Last edited by Volta; 18 October 2020, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• And let it be testament to shit company like nvidia and its imbecile followers:

When people complain to me about the lack of Nvidia support in Sway, I get really pissed off. It is not my fucking problem to support Nvidia, it’s Nvidia’s fucking problem to support me. Even Broadcom, fucking Broadcom, supports the appropriate kernel APIs. And proprietary driver users have the gall to reward Nvidia for their behavior by giving them hundreds of dollars for their GPUs, then come to me and ask me to deal with their bullshit for free. Well, fuck you, too. Nvidia users are shitty consumers and I don’t even want them in my userbase. Choose hardware that supports your software, not the other way around.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                  sdack I sense your frustration. But I think maybe you're just a bit "over the top". I'm not saying we don't need passionate people standing up for their beliefs, just make sure you're not throwing out most of the conversation in the process. As for me, I do not consider it "fear" to want software to be available longer term. I think people would be amazed at the software that has been destroyed (permanently lost) over the years. But yes, there can be "agendas", even when there is good intent.
                  A fair point, but you will agree a closed driver running on top of an open kernel does not impact the kernel's future (or present) availability.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Can we just replace this comment with "I hate NVIDIA for trying to earn money"? And, no, 99.9% of users out there don't use virtualization in any shape or form - you're not a home user.
                    Stop there. Linux home users are way more likely to use virtualisation for the the case they have to run Windows software. Linux desktop users are a small percentage that is right but it does not mean they have the budget for high end cards either. Mind you it does get insane that you can spend over 1000 dollars on a Nvidia graphics card and it still need the work around. Yes RTX 2080 cards throw error 43. Yes the latest rtx 3090 also throws error 43.

A common problem of nvidia gpus, passthrough to a virtual machine running windows, is caused by the error 43. This article helps fighting that error.

Yes work around. All nvidia forces by their method of anti-vm is more complex VM setup to hide the fact that its inside a VM.

The horrible reality is that RTX 2080 and RTX 3090 have a different mix of cores to the Nvidia workstaton/server cards that Nvidia drivers straight up support running VM on. So you cannot buy a Nvidia workstation/server card are be faster in every workload to the desktop card. So this here forces hand that Nvidia drivers blocking usage in VM has to be worked around as you cannot spend money and buy a different card to fix the problem. So this is Nvidia being an annoying jackass.

AMD also releases cards that are not ideal of virtualisation but they also don't stupidly make their drivers detect a VM and auto fail. MxGPU feature on AMD is hardware restricted to only the pro cards. Yes this is the means to have host and VM use the same card and to get this feature you have to pay for the more expensive cards. Notice something is market segmentation that people cannot hack their way around.

Please note AMD pro cards have the same GPU core mix as the top end AMD desktop cards so they perform the same. Really Nvidia is missing a complete line of cards the result is Nvidia puts people with the rock and hard place problem being the follow:
                    1) by a really expensive workstation/server card that does not right task the best to get VM support.
                    2) use a desktop card hack around the driver lock to VM support so using card in way that is not support by Nvidia so their task performed right.

Something to be aware of with Pcie 4 8x slot is fast enough. More and more of the entry level AMD B550 boards in fact support pci bifurcation to support 2 graphics card. SLI/Crossfire is not that usable. But a person on this generation of entry level motherboards is coming able to use 2 GPU cards. Now if this is not for SLI/Crossfire who is the market to sell those extra cards to. That right Linux users running Windows in VM doing GPU passthough.

AMD had the advantage here since they were design the motherboard chipset of the future boards have been able to see how the market was going to change. Nvidia needs to get the memo. That multi gpu is back for a particular percentage of their market space and those are not looking for cards optimised for server/workstation cards but optimised for desktop that support virtualisation so Nvidia you need to either drop the 43 error or release a new line of cards for this market.

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                      Stop there.
                      I thought we were discussing NVIDIA's troubles with GPL obsessed kernel developers. Turns out the fact that NVIDIA wants to earn money off people who like to use their consumer products in a business environment* is a deadly sin. I get it but it's beside the point. And again, if there are better products out there, go buy them and forget about this evil corporation. It looks like people have run out of ideas how to insult NVIDIA at every turn, so now they are just throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the mix.

* And virtualizing Windows just to play games? Why can't you just boot into Windows straight away? Why all the unnecessary complications and hassles? Besides virtualization incurs a performance penalty and offers less than perfect behavior.
                      Last edited by birdie; 18 October 2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X