NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobby Bob View Post

Yeah I'm actually OK with expecting a GPU manufacturer to be the one responsible for developing a GPU driver and fixing bugs or adding features... They make the hardware, I expect them to make the drivers...

I think you should go outside more often if you're this worked up about an issue like this.
    I'm outside often enough. You however, should stop fanboying GPU manufactures when actually open source kernel developers tell you this is not how it is supposed to work. If you don't like freedom, there is Windows, and Cuba for you. I hope Nvidia is paying you well for this fanboy trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

You truely did not understand OpenSource. If you want to run binary only stuff there is Windows and macOS for you. "I hate closed source" is what people like Linus and all the others like me wrote all the ecosystem up out of nothing for 30 years. And now you ant to tell us we should accept undebugable, and questionable security binary only drivers in our kernel? There is nothing self-righteous in having register lever specifications to write software and drivers for your hardware. Undebugable, buggy vendor drivers and OS is exactly what OpenSource, Linux & BSD is about. Funny how fanboy users repeatedly want to sugar talk that to the actual freaking developers.
      While agreeing to some extend (using oss drivers only myself), I believe this "black-and-white" mentality doesn't help much either. Some people tend to forget that using Linux is not a religion. Using Linux is a tool to get work done productively.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Bob View Post

Yeah I'm actually OK with expecting a GPU manufacturer to be the one responsible for developing a GPU driver and fixing bugs or adding features... They make the hardware, I expect them to make the drivers...
        If you are expecting to use binary blobs (drivers) happily (and maybe be prised for your "bravery") you are on the wrong OS Bobby Bob Dude!
        That is perfectly valid in Windows -- and not in OSX AFAIK, as OS drivers are provided by Apple there.

If you use linux, you are supposed to use a open stack (yes you can install binary stuff, but you do not get the full stack benefits)
        Kernel developers are clear about that!

As some others wrote already, otherwise what's the point in 30+ years of open development and craftsmanship?

Comment

Originally posted by ryad View Post

While agreeing to some extend (using oss drivers only myself), I believe this "black-and-white" mentality doesn't help much either. Some people tend to forget that using Linux is not a religion. Using Linux is a tool to get work done productively.
          Yes, it is not a religion and it is used to get stuff done.
          But you are (possibly) breaching other ppl copyrights (and disrespecting _their_ work) by installing binary only, closed source, OS drivers.
          Use them if you need, but do not "brag" about it.

Comment

Nobody serious in Linux and Open Source touches this binary-only blob like it's Covid. And AMD's equal performance Big Navi RDNA2 is just around the corner, soooo, .... yolo.
            I guess you missed this article, non AMD users may consider it unwanted bloat....

The AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Makes Up Roughly 10.5% Of The Linux Kernel
            Last edited by Slartifartblast; 13 October 2020, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I'm outside often enough. You however, should stop fanboying GPU manufactures when actually open source kernel developers tell you this is not how it is supposed to work. If you don't like freedom, there is Windows, and Cuba for you. I hope Nvidia is paying you well for this fanboy trolling.
              It works fine enough for me and 99% of the rest of the world. Company makes a piece of hardware and makes the drivers that make it work. I buy it, install the hardware, install the drivers, everything functions. An exchange of money for a functional product. I'm fine with that. At the end of the day, that's what matters to me. That's what matters to 99% of PC users who aren't ideological about open source. "Does it work?". Not how. If it doesn't work, or if it doesn't support what I need it to support, I don't use it. Because I got stuff to do, and I need a PC that works to get that stuff done, so whichever tool is the best for the task is going to be the one I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

I guess you missed this article, non AMD users may consider it unwanted bloat....

The AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Makes Up Roughly 10.5% Of The Linux Kernel
                Just because one news writer does not understand register level header files does not make an open source driver bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
                  If you use linux, you are supposed to use a open stack (yes you can install binary stuff, but you do not get the full stack benefits)
                  Kernel developers are clear about that!
                  Then make the open stack better than the closed stack and I will use the open stack. Make AMD GPUs faster than NVIDIA GPUs. Make OpenCL better than CUDA. Have day-1 Mesa driver support for AMD GPUs at launch that's superior to the day-1 NVIDIA driver support for NVIDIA GPUs at launch.

Comment

You truely did not understand OpenSource. If you want to run binary only stuff there is Windows and macOS for you. "I hate closed source" is what people like Linus and all the others like me wrote all the ecosystem up out of nothing for 30 years. And now you ant to tell us we should accept undebugable, and questionable security binary only drivers in our kernel? There is nothing self-righteous in having register lever specifications to write software and drivers for your hardware.
                    And I never said I wanted to run binary only stuff. Again, open source fans see the world only in black and white, while it's shades of grey and on your shiny PC with 100% open source Linux you're still running closed source firmware for your motherboard (UEFI BIOS), SSD/HDD, NIC, WiFi/BlueTooth and GPU. How do you sleep at night? You must be waking up every half an hour screaming in pain.

Undebugable, buggy vendor drivers and OS is exactly what OpenSource, Linux & BSD is about. Funny how fanboy users repeatedly want to sugar talk that to the actual freaking developers.
                    Sorry, this is just crap. 99.99% of users out there cannot debug anything even if they get paid to do that. Serious AMD/Intel GPU bugs sometimes take years to resolve despite "it's all open source and everyone can contribute" except only core Intel and AMD developers do contribute because GPU drivers are the most complicated drivers in the known universe.

Again, crap on top of crap. You live in an open source fairy tale where Open Source software is perfect, only right of this moment I have at least half a dozen bugs in the Linux kernel itself for my hardware some of which were reported years ago and no one gives a fuck.

Or take this bug for example. Multiple, literally millions of systems are affected, and Linux developers say some crap why it can't be solved: Well, TBH, it is probably that there is no way to fix this. The root cause is that ACPI claims some resources that will possibly be used by the ACPI AML code, but the native nct6775 driver also requests the same piece of resource.

Or take this bug which took me a good amount of debugging and the help of a number of Linux kernel developers including Linus Torvalds himself. The bug rendered a good amount of laptops dead on boot. No one cared except me. People would have given up on Linux entirely if not me. That's all so fucking disgusting. An Open Source dream. More like an open source hell where no one is responsible for anything at all.
                    Last edited by birdie; 13 October 2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Just because one news writer does not understand register level header files does not make an open source driver bloat.
                      Even so it's still very large, the Intel drivers barely register by comparison. As discrete cards become ever more complex there are also disadvantages of shipping drivers with the kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X