NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Omit the binary blob, the firmware, of your AMD card with its Open Source Driver and see how many FPS you get then
    The price we pay for having drmed chips. :shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      The performance difference versus the 2080 Ti doesn't seem quite as impressive as other benchmarks have put it. Maybe this is due to the higher CPU cost of running a game via Proton (or various in-house Direct3D -> OpenGL wrappers)?
      That's because it's a 4K card which Michael tested only in 1080p and 1440p.

Originally posted by rene View Post
      Nobody serious in Linux and Open Source touches this binary-only blob like it's Covid. And AMD's equal performance Big Navi RDNA2 is just around the corner, soooo, .... yolo.
      Ah, the waiting game which AMD GPU fans love so much. How long have you been waiting for a card which beats NVIDIA? For five or six years already? Where's your love on Steam HW Survey BTW? Looks like aside from Phoronix no one uses AMD.

Comment

Honestly I think the 5700XT did ok vs the 2080 at least; it's around 90% power consumption to get 85% perf at like 60% the price I think? and AMD seems to get more consistent frame times, too.

sure the 3080 nearly doubles perf but it's almost double the watts, and you can't even buy one for twice the price of a 5700XT right now.

and it's weird to see the VII's relative power use. it looks so tiny nowadays!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Omit the binary blob, the firmware, of your AMD card with its Open Source Driver and see how many FPS you get then
          the firmware is not running in the same single address space monolithic Linux kernel you fanboy ;-)

Comment

the RTX 3080 is overkill if just gaming at 1080p or 1440p for most titles
            Unless you have a 240hz Monitor.

Either way it looks like the 3080 is quite the beast. I hope the new AMD cards come close, it would be great to see some competition in the GPU space like we do with CPUs again.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

That's because it's a 4K card which Michael tested only in 1080p and 1440p.

Ah, the waiting game which AMD GPU fans love so much. How long have you been waiting for a card which beats NVIDIA? For five or six years already? Where's your love on Steam HW Survey BTW? Looks like aside from Phoronix no one uses AMD.
              given that I don't run binary only drivers, I have never been waiting. Nvidia delivers 0 fps, or whatever software renderer manages on an unaccelerated efifb lol

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

given that I don't run binary only drivers, I have never been waiting. Nvidia delivers 0 fps, or whatever software renderer manages on an unaccelerated efifb lol
                Does not running binary blobs make you happier? Enrich you? Make the world a better place? This "I hate closed source software" is just crap when you don't actively support open source and most people here on Phoronix have done nothing for the movement aside from leaving salty self-righteous comments.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
                  Honestly I think the 5700XT did ok vs the 2080 at least; it's around 90% power consumption to get 85% perf at like 60% the price I think? and AMD seems to get more consistent frame times, too.
                  That is an important point. Sure for people doing competitive first-person shooters, scrapping any performance increase may (or may not) be decisive. However, as far as I am concerned, I am much more interested in the actual power consumption both because I like my computer to run silent and my electricity bills to run low. I generally cap my games at 30 frames per second as 1) the frame rate is not that important for the sort of game I play (mostly strategy games and a bit of Elite Dangerous and World of Warcraft for which the ping is the dominant factor in my case), and 2) experimentally I do not see perceive any clear difference between 30 and 60 frames per second. The sweet spot with my RX480 is around 90 W (power cap is at 180 W according to rocm-smi). I get good performance and it remains silent. So I am mostly interested in new generation cards inasmuch as it allows me to run recent games on a low power budget.

Comment

I think Nvidia still makes sense if you do cuda development. But, $699 for 300+ watt amusement device does not make sense. Also the Nvidia Linux desktop experience is terrible, you can make it work but it a series of really pointless side quest.

Consider you could buy a much cheaper gpu, a lifetime membership to quality websites like phoronix.com, and still have money left over.

Comment

Originally posted by creoflux View Post
                      I think Nvidia still makes sense if you do cuda development. But, $699 for 300+ watt amusement device does not make sense. Also the Nvidia Linux desktop experience is terrible, you can make it work but it a series of really pointless side quest.

Consider you could buy a much cheaper gpu, a lifetime membership to quality websites like phoronix.com, and still have money left over.
                      This couldn't be further from the truth as I've been using NVIDIA GPUs on Linux for almost 20 years now and I cannot report any serious issues.

Yeah, Wayland, no, sorry, I like to use my PC, not to use experimental features.

Join Date: Dec 2019, Posts: 16. Looks like you're new around here and already have a very valuable opinion. LMAO. I guess I've been using Linux more than you've been alive.
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 12 October 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X