Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Online GTC 2020 Kicks Off Today But No Open-Source Linux Announcement Expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Different products, different strategies.

Nvidia makes a lot of money having a unified driver across all platforms they support. There's little incentive for them to do away with that to target a few percent of their customers. It's a simple business decision, nothing else.
    Yes I get that, so with NVidia desktop VGAs, what is the strategy for desktop Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Yes I get that, so with NVidia desktop VGAs, what is the strategy for desktop Linux?
      They are just ignoring desktop Linux, almost as if it does not exist...

Comment

I just told you desktop Linux is a rounding error for Nvidia and the next thing you ask is what is their specific plan for that? :facepalm:

Comment

Having an open source kernel driver that works with both the blob and nouvou, the way AMDGPU does, would allow them to get it in the kernel properly and still have their proprietary blob in tact and still uniform across all OS's.

Comment

NVidia cares more about having a high performance (and historically working) driver for Linux desktop rather than catering to open source. NVidia supports Linux desktop, its just done in a way that certain people don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

NVidia cares more about having a high performance (and historically working) driver for Linux desktop rather than catering to open source. NVidia supports Linux desktop, its just done in a way that certain people don't like.
              Allowing the redistribution of the firmware won't cost them anything, every one else does allow for firmware redistribution, this would go towards some good will.

NVidia makes a ton of money on Linux on compute which feeds off the same driver infrastructure they use on desktop.

They do not need to open source anything if they don't want, just playing nice with the kernel infrastructure so their products integrate well and do not cause problems.

Why would they be able to produce a DRI/KMS compliant driver with Tegra, and can't modify their Blob to be DRM compliant on Desktop doesn't have an explanation other than they do it deliberately for some kind of strategy that I call deliberate sabotage of Linux desktop the entire GBM/EGL debacle is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I used to be an NVidia user (Cards and Laptops) until I started investigating what is the problematic with NVidia's approach on desktop and the optimus debacle, after that I stopped buying anything with their chips/cards in it.

Comment

Working...
              X