Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Online GTC 2020 Kicks Off Today But No Open-Source Linux Announcement Expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Online GTC 2020 Kicks Off Today But No Open-Source Linux Announcement Expected

Phoronix: NVIDIA Online GTC 2020 Kicks Off Today But No Open-Source Linux Announcement Expected

NVIDIA's online GTC 2020 event kicks off today with a ton of announcements coming across the wire but not one many Linux users have been clamoring to hear more about...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be disappointing if they burried such plans if they had existed at some point in the past. But on the other hand it seems to be ineviteable after all that Nvidia one day also open sources major parts of their stack or both AMD and Intel could play that card to their advantage in the future.

Maybe they haven't something to show right now, or it is not the right time to even talk about it - but with all the investments of Red Hat, the recent ARM deal, I guess they are working behind the scenes on such a project.

Comment

Nvidia: no expectations.

Comment

I wonder if the ARM deal will affect Nvidia's commitment to RISC-V. I suspect it will.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I wonder if the ARM deal will affect Nvidia's commitment to RISC-V. I suspect it will.
          They never did something useful for riscv, and never will... Now they will have more reasons to sabotage riscv even more...
          Maybe something good would happen to riscv by getting rid of nvidia, but I believe nvidia will keep being there trying to steer the riscv spec to being complete garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            As they do have insights into both ecosystems, what does their decision to aquire ARM tell us about RISC-V? I can only speculate that they came to the conclusion that that ISA is not mature enough to conquer the datacenter anytime soon. Maybe they will continue using it for niche use cases but saw more potential with ARM. Time will tell if they made the right bet.

Comment

No Open-Source Linux [video drivers] Announcement Expected, No NVIDIA.
              So F. You NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                I guess they are working behind the scenes on such a project.
                Maybe, but life taught me time is important. I have been waiting for nVidia to release the f**king firmware for too long already. Recently I couldn't wait anymore, I needed new hardware and I casted my vote with my wallet. My wallet isn't going to fill up again for a long time, so nVidia has lost me for who knows how long. Maybe forever. Maybe I'll be just fine with AMD and I won't feel the desire to buy nVidia ever again. Maybe when I'll need new hardware again, nVidia won't even be a thing anymore. Let's hope it dies in fire.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

They never did something useful for riscv, and never will... Now they will have more reasons to sabotage riscv even more...
                  Maybe something good would happen to riscv by getting rid of nvidia, but I believe nvidia will keep being there trying to steer the riscv spec to being complete garbage.
                  Yeah, maybe you're right. They created some RISC-V based controller called Falcon that they use on their graphics cards and they joined the RISC-V Consortium. I think they might have paid money to join too.

Comment

So much for empty promises. Don't hold your breath, Nvidia didn't get any better.

Comment

Working...
                    X