No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Unveils $59 USD Raspberry Pi Competitor With Jetson Nano 2GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we be done with the A57 yet? It's ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      vote with your wallet, and buy hardware with OPEN Source Linux drivers and preferably register level specification.
      I thought Tegra GPU *did* work with nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I thought Tegra GPU *did* work with nouveau?
        Yeah, while I'm no fan of nVidia, I feel like I've specifically read somewhere that Tegra has pretty good open source support, so I don't know why people are bringing that issue up for this board.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It is interesting that everybody compares the card to PI when there are so many similar boards. Odroid for examples has some very nice boards that would be competitive for some uses.
          There are indeed many other excellent competitors. Pi has shorthand for ARM SBC's like Bic is for stylos. It's just the easiest comparison.

Comment

2GB RAM? No thanks. Even at 4GB, my RPi4 really could use more RAM. I keep eyeballing the 8GB version whenever it goes in stock, but at $75 I keep hesitantly passing, hoping maybe they'll someday have a 16GB or some other big improvement to justify spending my money.

The old A57 CPU is a minus too. I was hoping being so old, it would not have speculative execution and all the security bugs that brings, but nope, A57 is on the vulnerable list. So no advantages, just slowness. Boo.

Comment

Heh. I still have my nVidia Tegra 3 based Ouya woorking as a doorstop, while my 4-5 Raspberry Pies of various generations are all running along nicely performing various functions and still regularly getting software updates. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                The old A57 CPU is a minus too. I was hoping being so old, it would not have speculative execution and all the security bugs that brings, but nope, A57 is on the vulnerable list. So no advantages, just slowness. Boo.
                The A75 is, from what I recall, only mildly slower than the A72. It's basically just more power hungry for the same overall performance.

Comment

Yeah... that price tag will go much higher once it arrives at your local store...

And... you wanna tinker with a board, mess around with stuff, learn... and you pick stinky nvidia? I am wondering how far will you get with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                    2GB RAM? No thanks. Even at 4GB, my RPi4 really could use more RAM. I keep eyeballing the 8GB version whenever it goes in stock, but at $75 I keep hesitantly passing, hoping maybe they'll someday have a 16GB or some other big improvement to justify spending my money.
                    2 GB is fine for retro gaming, LibreELEC, and some of the robotics/AI stuff it is ostensibly for.

I don't expect to see a Pi5 or Pi6 with more than 8 GB. What would be nice is an ARM board that is around ODROID-H2 size, with two DDR4 SO-DIMM slots so you could put in 8, 16, 32, or even 64 GB of RAM. If it's on the market, it's probably not cheap.

Comment

novideo can't compete with rpi because rpi has open drivers

Comment

Working...
                      X