NVIDIA Announces $40 Billion Deal To Acquire Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    So they bought cumulusnetworks, Mellanox and now ARM too... I see a dark future for open platforms.
    Next, they will be buying LEG and we will be paying for arm and leg every time we buy nvidia ( the way it's meant to be paid )

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Android NDK has long supported native compilation for multiple architectures, including x86 and multiple ARM ISAs and ABIs. It's no big deal for them to add another, though I'd assume they already added RISC V by now.
      So true. And just a few extra steps in the build system is a price I am more than willing to pay to stick with C++ for *everything* rather than faff with a horde of pointless languages like Java, Kotlin, Objective-C, Swift and CSharp.NET just to target individual devices.

Comment

China is expected to try and block the sale.

I wouldn't be shocked if Japan and Russia did as well. I'm not sure any one other than the US wants every processor on earth controlled by the US who weoponize every thing in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          China is expected to try and block the sale.

I wouldn't be shocked if Japan and Russia did as well. I'm not sure any one other than the US wants every processor on earth controlled by the US who weoponize every thing in existence.
          Yeah, right... Like dude, I just weaponized a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.... mwuhahaha, mwuhahaha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
            I wonder how long Nvidia thinks it's going to take for ARM to make back those 40 billion dollars
            Who says it has to make it back? We aren't talking about something you use up. The investment will yield both income and capital gains, and as far as capital gains goes, Softbank has (assuming that this isn't blocked by regulators) gained 6.25%/year (simplified) on it, and that isn't counting the income.

Comment

Now if ARM, at any point in the last decade, had actually helped to make Mali the open source darling, instead of trying to throw up roadblocks, then the Mali would have had a future in something like RISC-V + Mali. Now Mali will slowly die out, perhaps some of the innovations will flow into nvidia hw, like the tsengs and 3dfxes of yore (in respectively ati and nvidia), but Mali will slowly vanish.

Comment

I guess now some ppl would learn why opensource matters hard way. Yes, dear numerous nvidia competitors who relied on proprietary CPU cores to do your business, I'm looking on you. Seems a lot of shortsighted nuts going to have it hard.

On other hand, I bet it would increase demand on opensource HW solutions by orders of magnitude. Somehow now far more people would suddenly realize proprietary solutions could be bad for their business. Ain't it cool to wake up in the morning of friday oh, pardon, sunday 13 just to find your business is about to be f...d up soon?! That's what you eventually get for relying on proprietary solutions.

p.s. still going to be rather bad for Linux. "Worst company ever" (c) Torvalds testimonials about nvidia.
                Last edited by SystemCrasher; 17 September 2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X