Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Sends Out 1GB THP Support For Linux x86_64

Phoronix: NVIDIA Sends Out 1GB THP Support For Linux x86_64

NVIDIA software engineer Zi Yan who specializes in the Linux kernel memory management subsystem today sent out a set of patches proposing the addition of 1GB THP support for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great to see this land along with Matthew Wilcox's work to support large pages in the page cache.

Comment

For the love of God, do it NOW!!!

Comment

Umm. I thought that Linux already supported 1G true hugepage mapping through the pdpe1gb flag?
        This is like 1G "fake" hugepage mapping through 2M pages * 512?
        I don't understand the difference between this and letting normal THP map 1G with 2M pages?

Comment

The NVIDIA engineer is proposing 1GB (transparent hugepages support for Linux
          Michael, you forgot to close the parenthesis here.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Umm. I thought that Linux already supported 1G true hugepage mapping through the pdpe1gb flag?
            This is like 1G "fake" hugepage mapping through 2M pages * 512?
            I don't understand the difference between this and letting normal THP map 1G with 2M pages?
            pdpe1gb flag just means that your CPU understands 1GB mappings (i.e. page mapping in L3 page table).
            This effort is to have THP mechanism create those mappings if possible.
            previously, THP could only create 2MB mappings and you needed to use hugetlbfs to take advantage of 1GB pages.

Comment

Working...
            X