X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Well.. you clearly haven't.
    Yes I have, you clearly haven't ;-)

Most of the raw pixel graphics processing parts (transforms/filters/motion compensation) are the same between codecs. The big differences are in the protocol encoding/decoding algorithms which is done with a programmable coprocessor.
    Lol, no. You clearly have no clue about digital signal processing –especially in RTL- and this modern video codecs ;-)

As long as a codec doesn't add new graphics transforms you can use the same hardware. So (e.g.) MPEG-2 is just a firmware program using hardware that supports h264. AV1 and VVC will actually share a lot of hardware - the pixel stuff has been out of patent for a while now.
    Lol. why do you even comment on technical threads like this? wasting our time and trolling us? Stop spreading fud other people believe.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      Lol, no. You clearly have no clue about digital signal processing –especially in RTL- and this modern video codecs ;-).
      Well that's a clear, well explained technical argument from you. Clearly you are an expert on hardware decoding, whereas I have only worked on software a/v decoders, so apologies for my lack of understanding.

I think you'll find if you look on Wikipedia for sub-pixel sliced block motion compensation and butterfly DCT that these are the expensive parts of video encoding/decoding and common to many codecs. Actually I found that deinterlacing and YUV to RGB conversion to pretty heavy weight as well. I guess you knew that though?

Comment

Excellent. It's a pity for bad support on Linux above all in WaylanD API, although proprietary drivers be good in X11 graphical stack but Mesa.

Comment

I hope this enablement by Intel and Nvidia will result in more 10-bit encodes, as that hasn't been tackled in Dav1d yet – probably why it hasn't seen much use yet.

I won't be missing the obligatory blue sky banding artifacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Excellent. It's a pity for bad support on Linux above all in WaylanD API, although proprietary drivers be good in X11 graphical stack but Mesa.
            What does that mean? While they're still working on it, Nvidia works with Wayland, and quite well today. The only issue really are those who diss Nvidia on open source.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
              Some day, between all of the useless AV1 encoders currently out there, maybe just one of them will rise up to be usable.
              Youtube serves AV1. Netflix does, too. Clearly there's at least one usable encoder out there.
              But an otherwise an invaluable contribution to a thread about AV1 decode.

Comment

And again :

What is and when will nVidia release that Open Source announcement?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...
                  H.265, so called hevc is better in order of quality and compression rather than its predecessor H.264. Problem is that HEVC is onerous by royalties. So many manufacturers and other software company have decided to join themselves so to develop a new video codec called AV1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    AMD doesn't even have full VP9 HW decoding
                    Raven Ridge APU?

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

What does that mean? While they're still working on it, Nvidia works with Wayland, and quite well today. The only issue really are those who diss Nvidia on open source.
                      The same Nvidia developers sate that their support on wayland based on EGL is not as good as GBM.

Comment

Working...
                      X