Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA RTX 30 Series Supports AV1 Accelerated Video Decoding

Phoronix: NVIDIA RTX 30 Series Supports AV1 Accelerated Video Decoding

One important bit not covered in today's GeForce RTX 3070/3080/3090 announcement but now detailed via the NVIDIA website is confirmation that the RTX 30 "Ampere" GPUs do in fact have dedicated AV1 hardware decode capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is AMD so behind on this?...

It's 2020 and they still don't even have fast H.264 encoding, or 4:4:4....

Comment

call me when it works in nouveau, I'm not letting any binary blobs on my computers ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        VCE 2.0 used to produce usable h264 encode, VCE3.0 doesn't anymore. Instead VCE3.0 produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way. You're looking for an outdated codec.

Comment

They still don't have ray tracing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
            produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way. You're looking for an outdated codec.
            erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...

Comment

VCE 2.0 used to produce usable h264 encode, VCE3.0 doesn't anymore. Instead VCE3.0 produces a nice quality h265 encoding, which is superior to h264 in mostly any way.
              Full of patents.

You're looking for an outdated codec.
              Outdated? When almost everyone uses it?

Comment

Aaaarrrg! I'm so sick of engineers wasting their time when I've told them the answer to fast and accurate decoding for decades.

In fact it's in the top drawer of my bedroom dresser right now!

My Captain Midnight Secret Decoder ring!

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  erm... h265 is dead. It has like 8% share of video. H264 is what people want...
                  Newer video codecs are always slow in adoption. It will be years before AV1 will have a high relevance....

Full of patents.
                  both of them, h264 and h265, true. AV1, being royalty free, will help on that front. It's just not there yet.

Outdated? When almost everyone uses it?
                  Yep. You don't need to consider only current usage if you want and guess things to move forward. It's the same with X11: Nowaday it's still in heavy use, nonetheless it will die for superior solutions.

Comment

Supporting new Codecs doesn't have to mean removing support for older stuff that is still heavily used in the real world

Comment

Working...
                    X