Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 Series Launches With Impressive Specs, Competitive Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTX 3090 not being dual GPU?

Comment

Yeah, we've been here before, and people will still buy them. Some gamers think having kW PSU to run their GPU is a badge of honor.

UserFriendly from 2006 when NWN2 was released. To get the best graphics appearance out if it you needed the highest end power hungry GPUs on the market from nVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        RTX 3090 not being dual GPU?
        you'd need a separate 700W power supply just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          In other news, AMD is about to release an RX 5300 XT to compete with the RTX 1650

Yeah, putting aside brand and OS loyalty, Nvidia usually does make a good product.

I will hold my judgement until I see the Official Phoronix Benchmark Values with supertuxcart and dwarf fortress.

Comment

Priced lower than I expected. Remembering AMD has a new architecture and already has more than a year experience with 7nm, I'm expecting good things from AMD at a good price.

Comment

I wouldn't be so certain about the considerably higher performance is generally applicable considering how heavily the whole livestream was focused on their gains in ray-tracing performance specifically, with next to no talk about performance in more traditional raster-based jobs beyond a lot of hype about their neural net based DLSS upscaling.

If I was a cynic, and I very much am one, that would suggest to me that they've only got some pretty modest improvements in traditional raster-based graphics, i.e what most games actually use and importantly for us on Linux, this means basically all games use. The idea Nvidia seems to have here is that games should be run at sub 1080p resolutions with loads of ray-tracing effects (which are still computationally massively expensive even with hardware acceleration) and then use DLSS to scale it up to 1440p or 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Yeah, putting aside brand and OS loyalty, Nvidia usually does make a good product.
                Are you that naive and ignorant or just a blind fanboy?
                Nvidia has continuously taken the piss out of their customers with their oh so "good products". The most recent example is the non-super 20xx series. Castrated and overpriced at the same time, failing memory, features like DLSS that were marketed as killer but performed abysmally ... and it took them 2 years to "fix" it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  I am impressed really, but unfortunately for AMD GPUs, it's a first nail in the coffin, unless they divide their price by 4.
                  Coffin? Why?

I do see great performance, at a huge cost: huge physical size (3 PCIe slots?!), huge power consumption....

NVidia is currently "de-throning" NVIDIA. In one specific segment of the market : pure enthusiasts , a very niche market -- 8K for everyone now?
                  If we look at supercomputer (also for AI) Fujitsu has thought already everyone a lesson with their A64FX:

High-performance, highly scalable, highly reliable, superior power-saving supercomputer

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                    Are you that naive and ignorant or just a blind fanboy?
                    Nvidia has continuously taken the piss out of their customers with their oh so "good products". The most recent example is the non-super 20xx series. Castrated and overpriced at the same time, failing memory, features like DLSS that were marketed as killer but performed abysmally ... and it took them 2 years to "fix" it, etc.
                    I will take my Radeon VII owner Fanboy hat off for once and tell you about some real things.
                    Lets start with the poor driver quality that we can experience for months after the release, and it hit the Navi users even harder this time. OpenGL performance is still dog poo compared to the Nvidia driver especially in edge cases, Radeon VII was pulled off the shelves after such a comically short time just to later come back as a Radeon Pro card for a multiple the price.

I knew what I was buying into and did it anyways because the benefits were worth it, but perfection is far away.

Comment

Yawn... Wake me up when Nvidia actually releases open source video drivers and produces a chip that can do a decent job without burning a hole in my lap, forcing me to expend tons of money on electricity and more still on cooling the place down after using their product.

Comment

Working...
                      X