NVIDIA 180.35 Driver Update Brings Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
    yeah well - tell that to the people having the 180.x instability - just look at the nvnews forum, nvidia linux section...
    Ya well tell that to the vast majority that are not having issues and don't post because they have no reason to b**ch.

Comment

i suppose we are just making these posts to annoy nvidia? we are all making it up? right? or is it that these issues are certainly not enough of a reason to "bitch" ?

Comment

@ Redeeman : As we all know, its better to be constructive at first place and try to describe the problem or give links (as you did in previous post). Atleast it tells about the gravity of the problem - sometimes they are non-issues for others. And hopefully, we can some upto a solution and/or conclusion.
        It is true though that when we have a *problem*, we seem to take it for granted that it is obvious for everyone to see that there is a problem.

Meanwhile, back to the topic, this is the first time (or should I say second time) I am having an issue with the 180.xx drivers. Its kind of peculiar. On my Gentoo box, I have this ctrl-c problem, and gnome-bluetooth segfaults and cites libGL.so.180.35 in dmesg (and possibly other gtk malfunctions, for example, gv, i.e., ghostview not quitting and blah). While on my Ubuntu box, everything is flawless and they are no such issues. Well, clearly there is something wrong with the driver, as 180.29 works fine in Gentoo too. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly as it always has been .

On a side note, it has been a sort of harsh week for me. I was doing a comprehensive Gentoo installation (I have about 1700 packages in my system, and it takes about 1 day to emerge -e world, including packages like openoffice that take 2hrs ). And imagine my frustration when after so much work, I see such peculiar crashes because of a non-issue like Nvidia driver. Meanwhile, there are more nasty issues like Qt-4.5 which leaves some kde4 apps (especially many games) in mess. I wish I had done some research before installing kde 4.2 (my first kde4 in gentoo) rather than taking things for granted as I do in Ubuntu.

Comment

just use 4.4 - kde 4.2 works excellent in gentoo, but you are gonna have some troubles with the nvidia driver.. it just isnt properly stable for much hardware, plus it isnt really fast enough for some 2d.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            just use 4.4 - kde 4.2 works excellent in gentoo, but you are gonna have some troubles with the nvidia driver.. it just isnt properly stable for much hardware, plus it isnt really fast enough for some 2d.
            Did you mean Kde-4.4 or Qt-4.4 ? If you meant Qt-4.4, thats what I indicated in my last post - I didn't do my homework before installing kde - all my kde-meta has been tainted by this Qt-4.5-rc thing. At this moment, I will just wait till kde 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 hits portage along with hopefully Qt-4.5 release, and do a 'emerge -e world' sometime in April. Future also seems bright with xorg-server 1.6 (not sure whats new) and kernel 2.6.29 (again, me very happy with 2.6.28). Also, native NetworkManager support in kde4 will be good, along with networkmanager 0.7.1. (Given such a long list, it makes me laugh at my plan a year ago to shift to kde4 in last year January.) For now, I am a happy camper in Ubuntu with gnome 2.24 along with lots of kde4 apps . Thanks to all the FHS compilance. Meanwhile, should say that Ubuntu makes Linux desktop look good .)

Comment

i naturally meant qt 4.4

Comment

Working...
              X