Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 180.35 Driver Update Brings Changes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 180.35 Driver Update Brings Changes

It was just two weeks ago that the NVIDIA 180.29 driver was released for Linux and we talked about how NVIDIA had kept pushing out many updates in a short period of time. Well, they didn't stop with the 180.29 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like when NVIDIA just reminds everyone: "Hey, we are the number one on Linux!".

Comment

Thanks for getting my hopes up =(

The main addition in the NVIDIA 180.35 driver when it comes to VDPAU support is that VC-1/WMV can now be accelerated on all GeForce 8 GPUs and later.
      That is of course not correct, only VDPAU supported gpus now have VC-1/WMV support. The 8800 GTS 320MB is still not supported at all.

Comment

I'm SO SO SO glad I ditched my POS ati 4870 a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

you might be glad - but that will subside when you hit some of the enormous stability problems there is with nvidias driver

Comment

Cool, I'm getting 200~500fps in UT2004 , and that's on luser platform, sick!

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              you might be glad - but that will subside when you hit some of the enormous stability problems there is with nvidias driver
              Been using nvidia's proprietary driver now for... well, at least a year and a half on Kubuntu (maybe longer before that) and haven't run into any yet. Then again, I have been running a non-compositing desktop and mostly care about accelerated 3D for WINE games so YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                I like when NVIDIA just reminds everyone: "Hey, we are the number one on Linux!".
                This "stable" driver release breaks for a lot of people in strange ways (notably, many KDE users seem to have troubles). In my case, gnome-screensaver stops functioning correctly (accepts no input) and downgrading to 180.29 makes the problem disappear. Same problem on entirely differents types of hardware. AMD with their fglrx beast is not the only one breaking stuff.

Comment

You might get some bad ass breakage with 180.35!
                  I didn't at first.
                  The bug is pretty scary, it breaks random apps trying to signal each other not even related to graphics.
                  ..took me some time to figure out it was the graphics driver
                  For example my start.sh script that launches my daemons and stuff after the UI is up, it runs among other things imwheel -k and that command sometimes locked up and i couldn't figure out why..
                  Shutdowns failed as well on/off.
                  I also had the CTRL-c thing as described on nvnews - which I also couldn't make sense of, I thought maybe my keyboard mappings had gone bad.. But then when ssh'ed to other systems the CTRL-c worked in the very same terminal on the remote machine and that reduced the possibilities quite a bit.

Steer clear of this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
                    Been using nvidia's proprietary driver now for... well, at least a year and a half on Kubuntu (maybe longer before that) and haven't run into any yet. Then again, I have been running a non-compositing desktop and mostly care about accelerated 3D for WINE games so YMMV.
                    yeah well - tell that to the people having the 180.x instability - just look at the nvnews forum, nvidia linux section...

Comment

Working...
                    X