No announcement yet.

The Current NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance Ahead Of Ampere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope AMD gets the RDNA 2.0 open source drivers in great shape for launch. They have been struggling on Linux with day zero drivers for the last few launches.

Also great to see that the 5700xt is now consistently beating the 2060 super on Linux just like in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

Buying an RDNA 1 card is playing russian roulette, because you could end up with consistent driver crashes on Linux like a large number of people do (I posted links above). And there's no way to know whether you'll be one of the unlucky ones or not. I have one RDNA card that has the crashes, and another that doesn't. And even the one that doesn't, even if you don't get absolutely hosed, you'll still likely experience intermittent driver crashes in some games.

Not to mention you need to wait until the new launches regardless, because it would be really dumb to buy a new GPU right now.
      It usually takes one year before the driver becomes usable and pretty much stable (but even after that it will have issues).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It usually takes one year before the driver becomes usable and pretty much stable (but even after that it will have issues).
        Yeah and that's only an AMD thing. It's unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

It's not a faulty card. The 5600 XT has literally been running non-stop for months in my second rig running Windows (as I already explained) and has never crashed once. On Linux, before I got the 5700 XT and was using the 5600 XT, it crashed constantly (3 times a day at certain points, always at least 5 times a week). So it's not just a faulty GPU, unless for SOME reason, it's only "faulty" in Linux. No, it's a driver issue. Everyone else having the same bug (#892) has also reported that they have no issues in Windows.
          Thanks for the confirmation. I've gone through the bug report... wow what a mess!

I noticed someone already tried to RMA: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/a...92#note_593374

Comment

Working...
          X