The Current NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance Ahead Of Ampere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance Ahead Of Ampere

Phoronix: The Current NVIDIA vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Performance Ahead Of Ampere

With NVIDIA next week expected to launch their next-generation GeForce RTX 3000 "Ampere" graphics cards, here is a fresh look at the current GeForce RTX 2000 series performance up against the latest AMD Radeon competition when using the very latest Linux graphics drivers for both vendors. This is the very latest performance showdown right now for the AMD/NVIDIA GPU performance under various Linux and Steam Play games on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What result order would one expect hardware wise? or compared to windows?

I didn't buy a new GPU for some time now, so I'm not up to speed.

Comment

afaik similar results. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...g-gpus-of-2019
      edit: RTX 2080 slightly underperforms RTX2070 slightly overperforms.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 27 August 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        What result order would one expect hardware wise? or compared to windows?

I didn't buy a new GPU for some time now, so I'm not up to speed.
        It's actually easy to choose. One vendor provides quality open-source drivers. The other one is Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

It's actually easy to choose. One vendor provides quality open-source drivers. The other one is Nvidia.
          jep for Opensourcee Enthusiasts only team red

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

My countless GPU driver-related system freezes over the years beg to differ, and I'm sure Navi owners (especially early adopters) also have something to say on that. Haven't had a single crash with NVIDIA though with Maxwell and Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              afaik similar results. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...g-gpus-of-2019
              edit: RTX 2080 slightly underperforms RTX2070 slightly overperforms.
              Looking at that it seems like Radeon VII / rx5700XT are about 10% of the RTX2080 both on Gamers Nexus and here, though it is concerning that the 2080 itself might be underperforming. (Though even compared to the (possibly overperforming) 2070, the 5700XT seems to be underperforming by 5%).

So not great, but not a disaster?

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

Looking at that it seems like Radeon VII / rx5700XT are about 10% of the RTX2080 both on Gamers Nexus and here, though it is concerning that the 2080 itself might be underperforming. (Though even compared to the (possibly overperforming) 2070, the 5700XT seems to be underperforming by 5%).

So not great, but not a disaster?
                For me its great how the 5700XT is performing considering that the driver is FOSS and not even the "AMD owned" AMDVLK opensource driver. So good work of you and the others

I'm owning a 5700XT and the Mesa driver was never a disapointment. .

Comment

Is there any chance we'll get performance per dollar graphs in the future as well?

It seems like RX 5700 XT performs similar to RTX 2060 super and costs similarly as well. On the other hand, it's only ~9% slower than RTX 2080 but AMD card is ~50% cheaper (at least in my country in EU).

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post
                    Is there any chance we'll get performance per dollar graphs in the future as well?

It seems like RX 5700 XT performs similar to RTX 2060 super and costs similarly as well. On the other hand, it's only ~9% slower than RTX 2080 but AMD card is ~50% cheaper (at least in my country in EU).
                    well I guess thats the problem - Nvidia for sure knows that 5700XT/Radeon VII are the top end of AMD. Everything above it is Nvidia and they set the price up there so no competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X