No announcement yet.

Some Ugly Code Can Get NVIDIA's Linux Driver Working With Accelerated XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Ugly Code Can Get NVIDIA's Linux Driver Working With Accelerated XWayland

Phoronix: Some Ugly Code Can Get NVIDIA's Linux Driver Working With Accelerated XWayland

Red Hat's Adam Jackson has been working on "GLX Delay" as a meand of offering accelerated GLX with OpenGL for XWayland when using the NVIDIA proprietary driver. The proposed code is going through Mesa even though it's for the proprietary NVIDIA driver benefit and also requires a change to the OpenGL Vendor Neutral Dispatch Library (libglvnd)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Some Ugly Code Can Get NVIDIA's Linux Driver Working With Accelerated XWayland

Red Hat's Adam Jackson has been working on "GLX Delay" as a meand of offering accelerated GLX with OpenGL for XWayland when using the NVIDIA proprietary driver. The proposed code is going through Mesa even though it's for the proprietary NVIDIA driver benefit and also requires a change to the OpenGL Vendor Neutral Dispatch Library (libglvnd)...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...el-NV-XWayland

Comment

But I think, on balance, that this reduces the binary driver footprint, and I think that's a good direction to go."
      What does that mean exactly? How does it reduce the footprint? If anything, it makes an argument that blob now can work in more cases.

I think helping the blob in any way is not a good thing. It only encourages Nvidia to act with impunity and drag their trash blob approach along.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        shmerl There’s no viable alternative. Patent trolls always want to target Nvidia. Plus a lot of their stuff is licensed and can’t be disclosed. So it’s very unlikely to change.
        Why not? Nouveau is already open, no one is targeting it. Nothing stops Nvidia from supporting it, including open userspace parts from Mesa that are using it.

All these patent troll excuses are nonsense. Nvidia simply never cared about making things open, especially when they want to have higher control over who and how can or can't use their driver, like charging industrial users more for some extra features.
        Last edited by shmerl; 23 August 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

shmerl There’s no viable alternative. Patent trolls always want to target Nvidia. Plus a lot of their stuff is licensed and can’t be disclosed. So it’s very unlikely to change.
          you do understand that patent trolls don't need the source code to the driver. That is just an excuse, and it's never passed any real world investigations.

Also there is likely very little licenesed code in the NVIDIA driver itself, that isn't rewritable in under a month, I'd expect there is likely 0 non-NVIDIA code in there. Drivers just don't have major requirements on other people's code.

It won't change, because NVIDIA don't want it to change, there is 0 things stopping a motivated NVIDIA from changing.
          Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

What does that mean exactly? How does it reduce the footprint? If anything, it makes an argument that blob now can work in more cases.

I think helping the blob in any way is not a good thing. It only encourages Nvidia to act with impunity and drag their trash blob approach along.
            I think there is an opportunity here. make it work just enough... aim for 90% perf :P

Comment

Hi! I don't know much about Wayland, yet.
              Does this
              Among the features not implemented are support for resizing XWayland windows
              mean, that desktop windows in general are not resizable?
              Thank you!

Comment

Fuc* NVIDIA. That all I hear in most of the comments and I can't stop myself from liking them. :-D

Comment

While its disappointing that Nvidia act the way they do, its good to see work being done to bring Wayland to the masses.

Comment

airlied Speculations.
                    Yes, you are spouting useless bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                    X