X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Are they a hardware or software manufacturer ?
    I thought that they are a hardware manufacturer and they make money buy selling their hardware, which is the GPUs.
    Since they already make money by selling the GPUs, I don't see any reason whey they are so assholes about the software support.
    Except for the fact that they want to be in total control of it keeping the users on a short leash.

It's not only the fact that they do not provide any documentation or code for their GPUs, but they also actively hinder anyone who tries that.
    I am still amazed that people tolerate such crap from they company they gave money to.
    I still have the dilemma of which slaves are worse, they buyers of Nvidia's products or Microsoft's products
    ?
    You went from somewhat serious to full SJW vegan soyboy, no it's not as simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Why not both? Their hardware is useless without the driver, the driver runs on the CPU.

All CUDA infrastructure and libraries and development kits are also software, and are just as necessary as having the GPU hardware if you want to run applications using that.

Since they already make money by selling the GPUs, I don't see any reason whey they are so assholes about the software support.
    If they lose control of the software support, they their product segmentation and therefore revenue as GPU sales shift towards their less-expensive products.

They are using software to offer or limit features in their product lines, and have done so for decades (i.e. floating point performance is very hobbled in the gaming cards, but the hardware isn't substantially different to justify this change, their special passthrough and other businness functionality works only on Quadro cards but it has been spoofed in the past by BIOS modding gaming cards to change an ID number or doing other hacks to make them recognized as Quadro).

Sos it's plain obvious why they aren't going to release shit for recklocking. If they do so, the Noveau driver will enable all sorts of crazy businness features for all their card lineup and it would be a disaster for their businness sales.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 23 July 2020, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It's because they are like any other company - they do what they think will bring them money and sometimes it also happens to be good for the customers.
    I thought that they are a hardware manufacturer and they make money buy selling their hardware, which is the GPUs.
    Except for the fact that they want to be in total control of it keeping the users on a short leash.

It's not only the fact that they do not provide any documentation or code for their GPUs, but they also actively hinder anyone who tries that.
    I am still amazed that people tolerate such crap from they company they gave money to.
    I still have the dilemma of which slaves are worse, they buyers of Nvidia's products or Microsoft's products ?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    They're working on Nouveau reclocking support, should be ready by 2032.
    No they aren't, it needs firmware blobs from NVIDIA and you can't load unsigned binaries.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Originally posted by lectrode View Post

Source? Or just speculation/rumor?
    With Amphere likely being the next generation consumer GPUs, that would have been/would be huge.
    Half rumor/speculation, half reading between the lines: Intel and AMD's move to signed firmwares means they can now get away with hiding much of their trade secrets in the kernel without a shim. Then you have the relevant 2020 GTC session being called "Open Source, Linux Kernel, and NVIDIA." and explicitly stating to "possibly (depending on last-minute developments) a few future plans and directions, regarding our contributions to Linux kernel; supporting Nouveau (the open source kernel driver for NVIDIA GPUs, that is in the Linux kernel), including signed firmware behavior, documentation, and patches; and NVIDIA kernel drivers." ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Source-GTC-20 ). Lastly, the session(s) they had instead announced Ampere and discussed the AI/Ray Tracing stuff mentioned earlier... So, if you add it up and have some general knowledge of their patent portfolio and what the HPC market been like in recent years...

There's other potential explanations but they're even more convoluted so them going "cold feet" due to how the market been acting up is the most likely scenario.

Leave a comment:

• WalterCool
    replied
    No more love from Nvidia froat my side. Def. my next laptop would be AMD.

Amd been doing a very good job contributing to opensource and open technologies.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

No, that's too soon!
    I bet they would rather go bankrupt than to do such a thing for their customers.
    But who cares, their users like to be slaves and that's it.
    If the victims don't complain who are we to complain for them.
    Especially since we're doing so fine on the real "green" side with AMD and Intel.
    It's because they are like any other company - they do what they think will bring them money and sometimes it also happens to be good for the customers.

Leave a comment:

• lectrode
    replied
    Originally posted by c117152 View Post
    They hoped to stop relying on trade secrets and release Ampere with FOSS drivers assuming the new patents in AI, VR, Ray Tracing, and Automotive will be enough to protect themselves. But, since those, outside HPC, sorta sucked, they gave up.
    Source? Or just speculation/rumor?
    With Amphere likely being the next generation consumer GPUs, that would have been/would be huge.
    Last edited by lectrode; 22 July 2020, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    But, yes, unfortunately there is no re-clocking support yet for Maxwell through Turing with Linux 5.9 or any other big improvements.
    In other news, water is still wet...

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Note that nouveau does support kms/wayland/etc -- just not reclocking.
    Many thanks for that info. And yep, Nouveau support for KMS, Wayland is a good example of where the proprietary driver is lagging behind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X