Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" CRC Support Ready For Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Are they a hardware or software manufacturer ?
    Why not both? Their hardware is useless without the driver, the driver runs on the CPU.

All CUDA infrastructure and libraries and development kits are also software, and are just as necessary as having the GPU hardware if you want to run applications using that.

Since they already make money by selling the GPUs, I don't see any reason whey they are so assholes about the software support.
    If they lose control of the software support, they their product segmentation and therefore revenue as GPU sales shift towards their less-expensive products.

They are using software to offer or limit features in their product lines, and have done so for decades (i.e. floating point performance is very hobbled in the gaming cards, but the hardware isn't substantially different to justify this change, their special passthrough and other businness functionality works only on Quadro cards but it has been spoofed in the past by BIOS modding gaming cards to change an ID number or doing other hacks to make them recognized as Quadro).

Sos it's plain obvious why they aren't going to release shit for recklocking. If they do so, the Noveau driver will enable all sorts of crazy businness features for all their card lineup and it would be a disaster for their businness sales.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 07-23-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Are they a hardware or software manufacturer ?
      I thought that they are a hardware manufacturer and they make money buy selling their hardware, which is the GPUs.
      Since they already make money by selling the GPUs, I don't see any reason whey they are so assholes about the software support.
      Except for the fact that they want to be in total control of it keeping the users on a short leash.

It's not only the fact that they do not provide any documentation or code for their GPUs, but they also actively hinder anyone who tries that.
      I am still amazed that people tolerate such crap from they company they gave money to.
      I still have the dilemma of which slaves are worse, they buyers of Nvidia's products or Microsoft's products
      ?
      You went from somewhat serious to full SJW vegan soyboy, no it's not as simple as that.

Comment

Working...
      X