New Patches Aim To Improve Smoothness & Latency Of NVIDIA On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royce View Post

They're helping users, not companies. A lot of setups out there are nvidia dependent, because it's by far the best solution available for a given problem (CUDA vs OpenCL for instance), or the only solution available (laptops with discrete gpus).
    Im struggling with this approach. On the one hand I'm all in with the helping the users. On the other hand we are supporting the way Nvidia is dealing with their users. And than we let them (nvidia) keep thinking that it is the right way. It is the same underling dogma which some "open" source projects are suggesting. E.g. Nvidia is opensourceing some extensions which can only be used with their proprietary software stack. Totally useless in the sense of the greater good. Just looks-like/pretends they are doing something good. But at the end it is just cheap outsourcing of work, with a better image.
    The IP stuff, the knowledge, is still inhouse, kept as a secret and the "clerk work" which just costs some man hours will be done by cheap FOSS guys.
    That is like hiring IT Professionals for the price of interns...and they don't even have to pay the doc if they cut their fingers on copy paper...
    What do the interns get in return? some help with e.g. nouveau...well these brave guys are still waiting for valuable stuff.

Comment

or the only solution available (laptops with discrete gpus).
      Not true. Nvidia just recently got better discrete GPU support for laptops, and I still see people having issues. Before that, it was a mess, and before that it was nonexisten for years. Intel/AMD discrete GPU support has been in Linux for 10+ years and worked.

Comment

They're helping users, not companies. A lot of setups out there are nvidia dependent, because it's by far the best solution available for a given problem (CUDA vs OpenCL for instance), or the only solution available (laptops with discrete gpus).
        They help users to remain blind of the crap the company they are supporting with money is pulling against them.
        Bending over is always just a short term solution which will never solve the real problem.
        Anyone is doing whatever they want, but I would not waste my time to help users that continue to support a garbage company.
        I had Nvidia in the past and I need compute, but I'm still sticking with AMD because it's the right thing.
        But yeah, it depends on how much are people willing to do to stand for their principles.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I would not waste my time to help users that continue to support a garbage company
          It's a good thing users don't depend on your contributions then.

Comment

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post

Not true. Nvidia just recently got better discrete GPU support for laptops, and I still see people having issues. Before that, it was a mess, and before that it was nonexisten for years. Intel/AMD discrete GPU support has been in Linux for 10+ years and worked.
            Enumerate for me 5 laptops with amd gpus. I'll wait.

Comment

Enumerate for me 5 laptops with amd gpus. I'll wait.
              My HP Elitebook 850 has one, my two laptops before had one.
              The Alienware m17 R3 has one, etc...

And I stopped looking because I just realized you meant AMD laptops were hard to find instead of Nvidia ones. My bad.
              But you did make it sound like only Nvidia works with discrete graphics, which is objectively false.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Most users can't do squat and most people already have stuff on their plate to be playing around with something that should be working. Open source drivers have a lot of bugs. Mesa has about 2k open and some of those aren't great. If the open source driver works well for you and what you do or use then great.

Personally, I'm very happy that there's an alternative.
                But, that's a -good- thing. The fact that you can experience a bug and then find an existing bug tracker somewhere describing that experience is freakin awesome. On the other hand when you experience a bug and then have absolutely no options, that's exactly what nVidia users experience. And that's the whole reason why nVidia drivers have decades old multimonitor bugs.

Comment

Intel/AMD discrete GPU support has been in Linux for 10+ years and worked.
                  Getting off-topic here, but the users I've dealt with that own Intel/AMD hybrids verify that DRI_PRIME works (glxinfo checks out), but are disappointed with the performance of the AMD GPU. Ideas?
                  Note: I can't remember for sure, but I think the same thing might occur on AMD/AMD setups - dGPU performance isn't much better than iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Getting off-topic here, but the users I've dealt with that own Intel/AMD hybrids verify that DRI_PRIME works (glxinfo checks out), but are disappointed with the performance of the AMD GPU. Ideas?
                    Note: I can't remember for sure, but I think the same thing might occur on AMD/AMD setups - dGPU performance isn't much better than iGPU.
                    DRI_PRIME=1 until very recently, only worked on OpenGL. For Vulkan, and by extension DXVK games, you had to filter the card/set the correct icd file/select the correct card in the game options. (Lutris for example can do that for you). Other than that, I would not have any explanation, this would require more investigation.

Comment

you meant AMD laptops were hard to find instead of Nvidia ones
                      Yes, that's exactly what I meant. There are some, but the choice is grim.

Comment

Working...
                      X