New Patches Aim To Improve Smoothness & Latency Of NVIDIA On GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    Mesa has about 2k open and some of those aren't great. If the open source driver works well for you and what you do or use then great.
    ...this is the whole driverstack including i965 to freedeno...that is like you would compare issues of a single vendor Dodge with the issues of the whole japanese car portfolio.

just for your information only 69 of them are RADV related, 224 RadeonSI.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxie View Post
      Not having looked at the code, is this something that also affects KDE/KWin/Plasma or is it specific to the GNOME Shell?
      Depends on the compositor architecture.

I doubt that anyone who hasn’t worked on Mutter or KWin can meaningfully answer your question.
      Last edited by intelfx; 15 June 2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxie View Post
        Not having looked at the code, is this something that also affects KDE/KWin/Plasma or is it specific to the GNOME Shell?
        Kwin still syncs to a timer offset from vblank and its wayland support is still an embarrassment. They have much much bigger issues then just a little bit of smoothness.

Comment

I will never understand what's the point into helping a company that is clearly anti-open source, anti-freedom.
          Helping bad companies is just condoning their behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

...this is the whole driverstack including i965 to freedeno...that is like you would compare issues of a single vendor Dodge with the issues of the whole japanese car portfolio.

just for your information only 69 of them are RADV related, 224 RadeonSI.
            Exactly. It seems overall IQ dropped badly, because such obvious things needs to be explained.

Comment

I think that the way Canonical sees it, the end user probably will not blame Nvidia, but the Linux environment in general. Look at how much fanboyism for any tech company are there, especially if they sell expensive stuff. To this day people still believe AMD's drivers are bad, while Nvidia's are top notch, despite all the "oh my god I hope they fixed that" at any new driver release.

So they might want to give customers a good impression after adopting Ubuntu Linux, despite all Nvidia shenanigans, after all, the bait should attract the fish, not the fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I think that the way Canonical sees it, the end user probably will not blame Nvidia, but the Linux environment in general. Look at how much fanboyism for any tech company are there, especially if they sell expensive stuff. To this day people still believe AMD's drivers are bad, while Nvidia's are top notch, despite all the "oh my god I hope they fixed that" at any new driver release.

So they might want to give customers a good impression after adopting Ubuntu Linux, despite all Nvidia shenanigans, after all, the bait should attract the fish, not the fisherman.
                the nvidia drivers are top notch, the amd drivers improve a lot in last years in linux, intel drivers improve a lot

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

good point though

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I will never understand what's the point into helping a company that is clearly anti-open source, anti-freedom.
                    They're helping users, not companies. A lot of setups out there are nvidia dependent, because it's by far the best solution available for a given problem (CUDA vs OpenCL for instance), or the only solution available (laptops with discrete gpus).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      RTFA. It's not just Nvidia that benefits from the change(s). And even if it was, there is no reason to withhold fixes and improvements from users based on the brand of GPU they have. That's just political BS. Save that nonsense for kernel devs.

Comment

Working...
                      X