Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 440.66.11 Linux Driver Fixes Annoying Bugs With PRIME Sync

Phoronix: NVIDIA 440.66.11 Linux Driver Fixes Annoying Bugs With PRIME Sync

NVIDIA has released their latest weekly-ish beta update to their Vulkan Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least, I think the main thing here is the horizontal lines problem. Not just thrown in as a plus since it is a rather important regression fix.

The other one is equally important if you had that situation.

Will give it a test soon.

Comment

I actually hit this exact issue trying to play Magic The Gathering Arena through Lutris.

Glad to see I wasn't (completely) nuts.

Comment

Great news. I've been occasional glitches (1-2s) during some compositing operations when using nvidia in a prime configuration on Kubuntu 18.04.4 and RTX 2060.
        Last edited by deppman; 24 April 2020, 01:18 PM. Reason: Added config details

Comment

I thought they'll finally fix the triple buffering issue, because 440.66.09 has horizontal lines and correct framerate, but 440.66.11 is like any other driver - framerate drops down to half of the refresh rate. Also Graphics API Visual Indicator is now not displayed properly.
          415.22.05 still a good choice for Vulkan games (the only driver version with correct triple buffering), but it has OpenGL, CUVID and power management issues and is old...

Comment

Ah, after I didn't really receive any response when reporting this bug with the horizontal lines I was afraid that it wouldn't get fixed this quickly, but fortunately I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zaps166 View Post
              I thought they'll finally fix the triple buffering issue, because 440.66.09 has horizontal lines and correct framerate, but 440.66.11 is like any other driver - framerate drops down to half of the refresh rate. Also Graphics API Visual Indicator is now not displayed properly.
              415.22.05 still a good choice for Vulkan games (the only driver version with correct triple buffering), but it has OpenGL, CUVID and power management issues and is old...
              415... whew. Wow, that is old. Too much for me. 440.48.02 is the one I go back to which is a year newer (Jan 2020) than 415.22.05. The one I use if it has a buffer issue works great for me.

These latest ones are almost maybe's. Still haven't tested this new one so not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zaps166 View Post
                I think the reason why nVidia doesn't bother itself with triple-buffering is because it doesn't make sense with modern GPU architectures having significant boost clocks, which they are unable to maintain for prolonged periods of time.
                With triple-buffering, the GPU will eventually drop down to the base clock speed to keep temperatures under control, at which point the gaming experience will get worse.

The boost is there for a reason - namely to be able to push through higher than averagely demanding scenes for a limited amount of time.

Therefore, don't expect to see this feature making a comeback any time soon...

Comment

I don't think boost clocks will be that much higher with or without triple-buffering unless we're talking about some small laptop without proper cooling.
                  But Free-sync/G-Sync make triple-buffering less useful. Also some techs like FXAA disables triple-buffering.
                  Triple-buffering is just the old tech that just on a back burner.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
                    I don't think boost clocks will be that much higher with or without triple-buffering unless we're talking about some small laptop without proper cooling.
                    But Free-sync/G-Sync make triple-buffering less useful. Also some techs like FXAA disables triple-buffering.
                    Triple-buffering is just the old tech that just on a back burner.
                    NVIDIA supports triple buffering on Windows and on Linux in OpenGL, so why not Linux/Vulkan? AMD and Intel (Mesa) support it properly either.
                    Moreover freesync support on NVIDIA is broken. My monitor has freesync and it works properly on AMD GPUs (Linux too), but on NVIDIA I have blanking

Comment

Working...
                    X